rear wipers turns on, but won't turn off

leojharris

i haven't used my rear wiper since buying my 95 pathfinder about a year ago. this weekend, i decided to put a fuse in and begin using it (there wasn't a fuse installed).

as soon as i turned the rear wiper on, it began working as you'd expect, but as soon as i tryed to turn it off ... nothing happened, it just kept wiping. to get the wiper to turn off, i had to actually turn the car off.

any ideas? bad switch maybe?

sounds like a short in the switch or alarm...i had an issue 1 time when my factory alarm went off i hit the wipers accidentally trying to get the keys in the ignition and neither the back glass opener or wipers would work until i shut her down and cranked her back up...

i'd check the wiring/switch

There is a contact in the wiper motor that opens when the arm is rest position. If it is not opening long enough, there won't be enough time for the motor to stop before the contact is made again will continuously cycle. If this is the cause, you can:

1. disassemble the rear hatch and

a. disassemble the motor/switch then maybe figure out how to adjust the contact

b. replace the contact (probably part of the motor assembly)

2. pull the fuse, which appears to be what the previous owner decided was the best choice.

There are also two relays, diodes and an "amplifier" in the circuit. So, unless you are good at tracing circuits, you might want to find someone who is or pull the fuse.

Edited by Animal

Guest SuperSon

Thats gotta be the switch. Cheaper to just head to your local junkyard and grab one to replace that with or you can pull that one out (make sure you push it from behind and not pry it from the front)and spray some electronic cleaner