Maintence day. LSD question..

VW_Factor

After a longish winter. Oil changed, K&N air filter, and got the 50 series Flowmaster installed this morning. Adjusted a few minorish issues.

Anyway, pathy has a stock LSD in the rear. In the past month or so, its been making the familar noise when turning sharply (mostly in reverse). I figured the rear diff has gotten low as it seeps at the pinion.

Its low, not as low as I thought. Figured I'll change out the fluid anyway. Are these LSDs known to get noisy on old or low fluid? Its a familar sound to me, but just double checkin.

Here in Salem Oregon, its been a nice week. 45 degrees out and sun. Today there was no sun, but was still warmer. Enough to get out and change the oil, etc.

I guess I forgot part of my original question, as to what kinda modifier was needed. Shop guys werent at the dealer today, but the parts guys were. I asked about their LSD modifier. Its no different than what you get off the shelf at Napa was the general response.

So, I picked up a jug of 80-90 gear GL5 and 4oz. of modifier (as listed in the service manual).

Im hoping its where the noise comes from. It certainly sounds like it. If not, then theres likely some bushings tore up somewhere in the suspension.

I have used Castrol LSD (LSX 90) oil in my rear LSD since I bought it at 32.000km (recommended by my Nissan dealer) it has now done 210,000km and no noise at all from the diff.

I do not get the same temperatures here as you. Today was a bit cool 28C (82F) yesterday nice and warm 41C (106F).

G

Thanks all. I'm happy to know there's an alternative to dealer only purchase of lsd oil! I wish the GL-4 tranny gear oil were more readily available. After searching high and low in brick and mortar stores I was happy to pay a couple dollars extra to order some shipped off the internet. I'm so happy with my redone studs :Magic: , the old girl is getting a little more tlc now than when she was bellering and gasing me with exhaust. Where I thought we might be about to part, she'll now get new rubber, headers and new speakers sometime this year. Repacked front bearings first. Timing belt in about 10000m. Hmmm, a new pathy is $40000, a new one's $40000, and they ain't nothing like the 91. I can pay for all of that with less than two months of new car payments. Tags and insurance only $200 a year. I know I'll keep her! I just wish I hadn't rolled the 89 pickup. They were the perfect pair. Just about everything interchangeable.

It's only 14F out but 43F in our garage. If you guys can do it, I guess I should suck it up and change the oil at least, and torque the four bolts at front, and grease the tire carrier hinges, and.........

I just did front and rear diffs yesterday. I ended up going with Redline Oils Syn 75W90 LSD for the rear and 75W90 NS for the front. Never had a whine before or after. And we didn't make it much higher than single digits yesterday. In my garage it was a balmy 40ish. Biggest PITA was Redline's botles didn't have the the the little nozzle thingie to just squeeze the oil into the diffs. :blink: Not such a big deal on the rear but the front would have been a real mutha had I not bought a bottle of Pennzoil gear oil for just the bottle. A measily $4 was worth the potential added aggrivation level. ;) Other than that a 1/2" air impact and a two foot cheater on my 1/2" ratchet (I need a breaker bar in the worst way)were the ticket.

So do you guys use lower viscosity oil for your colder conditions? I gather the 70W90 oil has a wider range rating for lower and higher temp. Shiiiittt 14 degres F that is -10 C about what my car fridge runs at. Wouldn't need a beer fridge just a warmer to stop them bloody freezing.

I spent 3 hours SCUBA diving for work today and got a bit chilly, the water was about 22C (17F). Sorry to make you jealous. It was too hot in the driveway when I got home to change my engine oil, I might have do it at 6:00am before work when it is a nice temp.

Do any of you know if there is a specific auto trans fluid for hot conditions.

Cheers

Geordie