get a load of this

adamzan

I go over to my friends where the pathy is stored, start it up so I can work on it, and the brake light is on and the park brake is down. The pedal is extremly soft and the brakes hardly work. And the fluid is low. But the real thing that concerns me is that when i put it in park it was bouncing ALOT. I look underneath in the rear and discover the passenger side strut is either disconnected or snapped off from whatever it mounts to at the axle. Is there an easy fix for this? I have the adjustable suspension and would like to keep it. My friend does have a key, and I think he's been wheeling it or something. But now I've locked that key in the glove box with my original and disconnected the battery.

heres a pic i took, you can kinda tell that its leaning towards the back right. :angry:

200702021243001lp8.jpg

Do you mean the shock absorber broke off from the axle? Looks like the coil spring might be cracked or something...I didn't think wd21's had struts? I could be wrong though....wouldn't be the first time.

Can you take a pic of the rear suspension.

Edited by madhatter_xe

Ill try to get a pic sometime. But yes i meant shock absorber. I can't figure out how it could break off. The coil springs are fine though, I looked them over briefly.

a shock isnt going to make your truck sit crooked. 50 lbs of snow on the other hand.

the easy fix for your shock is a replacement. I doubt your electro sus. works. seems that 99% dont. I know that 4 of the 5 paths my fams had, none of them worked. the 5th one didnt have electro so it doesnt count.

"the easy fix for your shock is a replacement. I doubt your electro sus. works. seems that 99% dont. I know that 4 of the 5 paths my fams had, none of them worked. the 5th one didnt have electro so it doesnt count."

I guess my Pathfinder is the 1% then? Really though, I pretty drive it most of the time in "Sport" mode. The "Touring mode bounces too much.

Edited by PathFound

If you have any miles at all on those stock adjustable shocks your arse will be amazed at how well a new set of shockers on all four corner will feel. Absolutely night and day difference. I have/had the adjustable shocks, ditched them for some standard Monroes. There are plenty of shock options out there to suit your driving/wheeling habits.

if I recall correctly, its just basically like a big stud mount that the shock slides onto and then capped with a nut and washer....and yes hit something hard enough and it could break, although rare. If that mount/plate is broken, may have to just get a new one on or a replacement one from a boneyard. Should just bolt onto the axle with 4 bolts and the 2 big U clamps.

the previous owner of my rig did away with the adj. suspension also and just put standard shock on. either due to cost of replacing or it just didnt work anymore. Either way, I'm just going to stick with the standard shocks. It's a truck afterall...will never ride like a Cadillac :)

Might want to check to see if your buddy ruptured a brake line too on that same side of the vehicle since your brakes have gone to squishy land and losing fluid. Maybe tossed a big rock or bottomed out on something to cause undercarriage damage.

Wish we'd get some snow here in SC so I could go have some fun in my pathy.

Edited by Chriskaw440

Mine must be in that 1% also, as the elec suspension worked very well, untill this happend. And if he ruptured a brake line, don't count on him being friends with me much longer. You just don't screw with another mans vehicle, massive frame rot or not. I'll get another look at it some time. But I REALLY don't like moving it around with a damaged frame (see my other post), barely any brakes, and a disconnected shock as it bounces too much.

Oh and about the snow, its been sitting for a while.

Edited by redfinder

Could someone elaborate on the electric shocks. I replaced mine with very reasonably priced Nissan stock shocks and they worked but now don't. What do I look for to fix. If they aren't working are they in the soft mode or sport? I want the stiffer ride of the sport setting. I'd like to keep it working as stock, but not a big deal. Thanks

Mine must be in that 1% also, as the elec suspension worked very well, untill this happend. And if he ruptured a brake line, don't count on him being friends with me much longer. You just don't screw with another mans vehicle, massive frame rot or not. I'll get another look at it some time. But I REALLY don't like moving it around with a damaged frame (see my other post), barely any brakes, and a disconnected shock as it bounces too much.

Oh and about the snow, its been sitting for a while.

frame rot will make your truck sit weird. My coil bucket rusted and bent upwards cauzing my truck to sit wierd.

theres no way your rear shocks are good if you still have one connected and it bounces "too much". ive driven for weeks one a single shock and the difference was minimal.

K i can't get a pic of it. But does anyone have a pic of their suspension so i can point out what im talking about?

"theres no way your rear shocks are good if you still have one connected and it bounces "too much". ive driven for weeks one a single shock and the difference was minimal"

Maybe they're still OK but they can't go it alone?

Edited by redfinder

I found a pic of what the back looks like, if it helps any. If you look at the right of the rear bumper, you can see where that same idiot hit it with his 4 wheeler.

200702021257000kq7.jpg

Hey, I've done that one. My First Pathy was an 89XE, and BOTH of the shocks snapped at the mounts, although they did it while i was driving from Calgary to Vancouver. It's an interesting thing, having your vehicle turn into a slinky at 150Km/H. Doesn't corner so good, though.

I got pics still, here

post-6-1170642105.jpg

here's the other one:

Rust was the culprit, in my case. The long trip through the rockis just finished the job. I would suggest either PROCOMP or RANCHO replacements. I've used em both, and they were both really nice. Probable cheaper than OEM, too.

post-6-1170642432.jpg

I found a pic of what the back looks like, if it helps any. If you look at the right of the rear bumper, you can see where that same idiot hit it with his 4 wheeler.

200702021257000kq7.jpg

Oh damn...something big and solid broke off underneath. Clear out some snow and crawl under with a flashlight. Take pictures for us, this is likely to be nasty.