Warn Hub Replacement

MrBuddha

I'm trying to disassemble the stock hub assembly and am getting stuck right off the start. I can't seem to get the hub cap off. It's the little black cap that covers the end of the hub.

I'm working off of Dean's photo DIY guide and it looks super easy...but alas, it's not.

http://xplorx4.com/pathfinder/upgrades/warnhubs/

So anyways, I've tried prying it with a screwdriver, hammering the screwdriver into the "crevice" with a reasonable amount of force, but nothing crazy. It looks a like it could be rusted on.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

:cool2:

That's what I ended up doing... maybe spray some penetrating fluid on it if you think it's rusted on? I agree, that stupid dust cap made me say new swear words and give me the rage... one of the reasons I LOOOOVE having the Warn hubs, I will never have to deal with that damn thing again! :D

Max just had that same problem.

how he got his off....hammered the screw driver thru the actual cover (farthest away from the actual hub) and pryed it off that way....beat it with a hammer, do whatever you can, you are never gonna need that dust cover again, so beat it up, dont worry about trying to make it come off nicely.

also, one thing that i have done with some success to other smaller vehicles (golf karts, trailers and whatnot) is to drill a small hole in the acutal dust cover to release the pressure that is sometimes created because of the grease inside of it when it was pressed on, it works sometimes, sometimes not.

good luck.