01 spark plug swap

tecciball

Does the procedure here sound right for an 01 Pathy? This sounds pretty simple to me, but I thought that one of the plugs was difficult to access. Maybe that is just on the VG engines.

http://www.faqfarm.com/Q/How_do_you_take_t...ssan_Pathfinder

Also, I will be ultimately go with the NGK Iridiums. Can anyone confirm that LFR5AIX-11 is the right part number for my engine?

Thanks.

Didnt read the link... but typically the number 6 plug is known for being difficult to get at... the trucks came with a tool to help get at it - some people find it under the back seat with the jack... mine was under the floor in the cargo area, came in a vinyl bag.

i definitely dont have that tool bag. the po replaced it with a wacky tobaci pipe! sssh

i think i remember reading on this board that the #6 plug access issue is for the vg engine only. the write up makes it sound like all plugs are accessible after removing the valve covers/coils.

They sure are accessible after you take apart the engine, but do you really want to do all of that??

It's not as bad on the VQ as it is on the VG, but it's still a hassle. Just get a 6" extension with a U-Joint wobble, and the right socket and you'll be fine. There should be a little notch in the firewall where the tool can go so you can access the plug.

Ok, I guess what Im not seeing here is what engine you have. In 2001, you should have a 3.5l. The spark plug procedure is like that in the link. A couple of extensions, pliers, 10mm socket to remove the bolts holding the coils and the plug socket is all you need. Getting the coils out can be a little fun. The engine harness can get in the way on the passenger side. Just remove the bolts on the support bracket pull the harness back and it helps with access. You dont need to remove the throttle body to change #4. I usally just remove the Idle Air contol motor just below the throttle body(phillips screwdriver). The screws can be a pain sometimes, just use patience. They are a 105k spark plug if your wondering.

Check out this link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissan-Path...sspagenameZWDVW

I don't recommend buying it (Check junkyards), but you can see the tools that come with the Pathy. The spark plug tools are the 3rd and 4th tools from the top. The 4th is the long socket, and the 3rd tool is the bent arm used to turn the socket at the funky angle.

pretty funny fueler. that is what the po obviously did!

as for those tools, i have only the jack, the long bar, and the nut wrench (first and fifth tools in the ebay pic). the middle three tools either got smoked, or are only for the vg engine.

does anyone with a vq have all those tools? i still have the impression that the bent tool is for reaching #6 between the firewall and the back of the engine on a vg. isnt the plug geometry different on my engine? sorry if i am being lame on this, but everyone i have heard barking about plug change trouble had the vg engine...