tick tick tick

nissandoms47

so i was reading over on titantalk.com and the titan guys say that running a bigger gauge wire to the back of the engine blocks clears their ticking. i have a little tick that isnt coming from the lifters. would the concept be the same for the r50? how well grounded is our engine block and all that. i just wanted to run this buy you guys to see what you think

alex

I find this funny because the same EXACT things happened to me. A guy that I worked with reccomended running a bigger gauge and it worked. The sound hasn't come back since I did it about 8 months ago. I would definitly try it.

I'd like to get some more info on this subject too. If I were to run a new and improved ground to my block would I want to run say a 4 guage wire from the negative terminal on the battery to the block somewhere? Or run the wire from the block to the frame? Thanks for the insite.

• 1 year later...

THis is new to me. "What" is exactly ticking? Is this just the engine running or is there some component ticking?

If this upgraded ground fixes the issue, it should be fine to add a new ground leaving the original in tact as an option I would think.

This makes sense, go out and google XS Engineering Hyper Grounding kit. There are several with dyno showing gains from grounding the head(s), engine block, transmission, ECU, and replacing the OEM grounding cables to the battery.

If you want a specific case google the XS in conjunction with an 850l volvo!! They gained a dyno'd 15.8 WHP and 11 TQ--may be the strongest gain out there---maybe not?! But it goes to show that fine strand ground wire helps alleviate electrical stresses of todays engines---they even did an S2000 and found the strongest gains by grounding near the coil packs.

I am going to try this to see if it changes the light miss I have in my VQ. (posted topic in the Garage sections).

You realize this doesn't improve engine performance, it corrects ****** stock grounding. Your gain is only going to be as good as the manufacturer caused a loss. Even if another vehicle got 16hp that doesn't mean it's possible on a pathy.

I had a pretty loud ticking and I replaced the plugs with oem NGKs today. The ticking is gone and the engine sounds like it did when I bought it. It has 90K on it now.

sounds like you had a spark plug boot that was partially off, causing the spark to jump to the head, causing the tick, tick, tick.

You realize this doesn't improve engine performance, it corrects ****** stock grounding. Your gain is only going to be as good as the manufacturer caused a loss. Even if another vehicle got 16hp that doesn't mean it's possible on a pathy.

No offense man, but dude the only time a gain isn't worth anything is when its around my waist. If the stock grounds are indeed so bad that they rob this sort of output...than it would be improving engine performance...as the engine has no other option but to perform to the best of all of its peripherals.

The fact that in Japan you can get some vehicles with the XS Engineering grounding system as an OEM upgrade simply proves that it is an improvement over stock...so what then would you accept as a performance gain?

I just don't see the point in getting hyped about a different vehicle getting a major performance increase. This isn't a generic performance upgrade like slapping a turbo on would be, the performance gain of rewiring is based soley on how poor the stock grounds were. I don't really care how much of a gain Volvo had as that only goes to show that that vehicle came with very poor grounding, it doesn't do anything to show that the Pathfinder would get any sort of gain. So to answer your question, since this is such a vehicle specific upgrade I would accept it as a performance gain when I saw a dyno sheet of an R50 getting some sort of significant power gain.

And I would beg to differ, a gain is only worth it when it is cost beneficial. But then again I'm an accounting student.

No offense man, but dude the only time a gain isn't worth anything is when its around my waist. If the stock grounds are indeed so bad that they rob this sort of output...than it would be improving engine performance...as the engine has no other option but to perform to the best of all of its peripherals.

The fact that in Japan you can get some vehicles with the XS Engineering grounding system as an OEM upgrade simply proves that it is an improvement over stock...so what then would you accept as a performance gain?

Pssst, just so you know, XS Engineering is a US company. :happy:

I just don't see the point in getting hyped about a different vehicle getting a major performance increase. This isn't a generic performance upgrade like slapping a turbo on would be, the performance gain of rewiring is based soley on how poor the stock grounds were. I don't really care how much of a gain Volvo had as that only goes to show that that vehicle came with very poor grounding, it doesn't do anything to show that the Pathfinder would get any sort of gain. So to answer your question, since this is such a vehicle specific upgrade I would accept it as a performance gain when I saw a dyno sheet of an R50 getting some sort of significant power gain.

And I would beg to differ, a gain is only worth it when it is cost beneficial. But then again I'm an accounting student.

Copper wire is cheap. Do it yourself, and you'll send less than 20 bucks. If nothing else, you won't have to wonder if it would work anymore. The piece of mind is worth the 20 bucks.

So to answer your question, since this is such a vehicle specific upgrade I would accept it as a performance gain when I saw a dyno sheet of an R50 getting some sort of significant power gain.

Well I can go for that, but I won't be paying for a Dyno, as there are only a few around here. My point over all is that if the vehicle is sold with X HP, gets X HP and with that power can perform ABC, then making X + 1 HP is a gain over X. The sad part is that no one here can prove this point as the newest R50 is 2004 so we have no way of knowing truly if there "would be" a performance gain out of the box. :shrug:

The accounting student part makes much sense...lucky for me I have boxes of High Current 12, 10, 8, 4, and yes 0 gauge wire--the only downside to giving this a whirl is the cost of the connectors--sometimes these are rediculous! :thumbsdown:

**I think that it was Sun Automotive that was offering the JDM upgrade-- :doh:

To be fair, if I had the wire sitting around I'd probably do the upgrade anyway :)

It's also worth noting that I've been driving with shot exhaust for almost 2 months now and have known that the bushing on my driver lower control arm is going for a month, but my broke ass can't afford to fix either of those right now. So $20 upgrades do add up to this poor bankrupt student.

Edited by Zibi