Why not 4.0 HO in our Pathys

Ultrafinder

I've seen alot of talk about conversions using chevy motors. I havent seen a post yet using a Jeep 4.0. They are very powerfull motors and its a 6 cyl. I believe they were rated at something like 195 ponies. I had that motor in my YJ and XJ. Allways enough power to mud. I would think it would be a better option than a big V8. and there lots of them in junkyards. Am I missing somthing?

there lots of them in junkyards

Forgive me, but I believe you answered your own question.... Even with Heeps-----> when it blows im gonna drop a 350 in there... what sucks more is the aftermarket supports them in those efforts....

Yeah, I hate to say it but Jeep's 4.0 Liter engine is anything but a lemon. My brother now owns my 92 Cherokee, still going strong at 350,000km, and I know a few others in the same boat. A lot of their other components are suspect, but that 4.0 Liter inline six is one tough engine.

... as for putting it into a pathy, I don't think it would work with its length. It is after all an inline 6 cylinder engine and not a V-6. The existing bodywork wouldn't accomodate it. You'd have to extend the front fenders and/or build some kind of unique pointy grill. And the rad would be another issue... nice thought though.

screw it, just throw a 5.0 in it, best motor ever..lol

On a side note, jeeps aren't so bad, I'm a member of a jeep club here in albuquerque (cuz they wheel alot and let me join). They're fun guys to outwheel.

Edited by Pavelow Leaks

These vg's just take it and take it .... When I go snow wheeling with the chevy/jeeps they all tend to overheat. The little vg just screams around like a pissed off sewing machine.

I drove my pathy against the wind at 5000rpm from Kansas City to Denver. That was back in the auto tranny days! The whole way the temp gauge didn't move from it's normal position.

Now that she has a 5 speed under her bonnet that doesn't happen anymore. As nice as it is to have only two pedals to worry about with the auto, the torque gained from going to the 5 speed is way worth the hassle of shifting on the trail....

Edited by AK9849cy

if i was to go with a i-6 i would go with a 6bt. same motor as my dodge, man that would be awesome. the only problem is that the motor weighs 1800 pounds. lol

These vg's just take it and take it .... When I go snow wheeling with the chevy/jeeps they all tend to overheat. The little vg just screams around like a pissed off sewing machine.

I drove my pathy against the wind at 5000rpm from Kansas City to Denver. That was back in the auto tranny days! The whole way the temp gauge didn't move from it's normal position.

Now that she has a 5 speed under her bonnet that doesn't happen anymore. As nice as it is to have only two pedals to worry about with the auto, the torque gained from going to the 5 speed is way worth the hassle of shifting on the trail....

Boy I wish I had a 5 Speed......filled with envy!