4wd issue

zonianbrat

Ok I will try to make this brief. We got alot of snow here in colorado in the last few weeks which means I had a ton of fun with the pathy. I put the tranny to the test a couple of times plowing through snow and I had to kinda rock it out once. Anyway one time while I was stuck I tried to put her into 4-Lo. I had the tranny in 1s(it is an automatic) and it grinded,when I tried to shift teh t-case to 4-Lo, then I tried it with the tranny in neutral and it grinded, Then I shut the truck off and tried putting the t-case in 4-LO and I thought it was in but when I turned the truck back on it the t-case was in nuetral at which time I tried again to put it into 4lo and it grinded. Am I doing something wrong? 4-hi works great no grinding,slipping or anything. And yes I am pushing down on the 4wd shifter when attempting to go from nuetral to 4-Lo. I seem to remember last year I used 4-lo only for a minute or so and then had trouble getting it out of 4-lo. Any suggestions???

He said that he had tried it in neutral and it still didn't work. I have found that there are certain sticky spots where it won't shift into 4. Also if I have it parked overnight in 4x I can't get it back into two without warming it up. Other than that I don't know what to say

Well, first off, exercising the transfer case a bit more will help in the long run, also give you practice in shifting it in/out of low.

The truck needs to be stopped, with the automatic transmission in neutral or park. If it still does not go, then try just bumping the truck forward/back with the trannie (a quick shift into D or R) and see if you can get the gears to mesh a bit better.

Not sure what else but try it in Park and see what happens.

And maybe change the transfer case oil if you have not done so.

Good luck.

First put the transmission in neutral, and with the truck stopped, you will need to push down on the t-case gear selector lever while it's in neutral. After you've done that, it should click into 4-lo. At least that's how it works on my vehicle. I shouldn't need to tell you that tearing around in the snow in 4-lo isn't good for your drivetrain. Save that for 4-hi. :secret:

I saw that post mz and pondered it but did not know if the t-case was the same on an R50. And skilla I would not tear around in snow in 4-Lo. I got stuck in a 4 ft. snowdrift and I was spiinning all four tires in 4-hi. So I decided maybe I should try 4-lo and that is when the problem happened. Oh and on a side note I got myself out of the drift! but bent my blinker into the bumper in the process.! I do thank you guys for the input. I always tried usiing Neutral first but it grinded so I tried other gears. I did not spend too much time dwelling on it though. Possibly this weekend I will mess with it and try go get it into 4-lo and "excercise" the gear a bit.

all t-cases in the V6 VG nissan trucks from 86.5 to 2004 use the same tcase. pathys, hb, frontys,xterras.. and if your completely stopped trying to shift into 4lo with the trans in neutral your linkage must be messed up or stuck, possibly binding somewhere.

Edited by nissandoms47

I saw that post mz and pondered it but did not know if the t-case was the same on an R50. And skilla I would not tear around in snow in 4-Lo. I got stuck in a 4 ft. snowdrift and I was spiinning all four tires in 4-hi. So I decided maybe I should try 4-lo and that is when the problem happened. Oh and on a side note I got myself out of the drift! but bent my blinker into the bumper in the process.! I do thank you guys for the input. I always tried usiing Neutral first but it grinded so I tried other gears. I did not spend too much time dwelling on it though. Possibly this weekend I will mess with it and try go get it into 4-lo and "excercise" the gear a bit.

lol.. all nissans, even Xterras shift this same way. let us know on any progress. WAVEY

I was just trying to state the obvious sorry if I offended anyone, I was also telling him how mine goes so he doesent have to waist time trying wrong methods If anyone else wants to jump on my back for giving HELP, 1 at a time please.