XM Radio

BamaRed

A factory XM kit can sound only as good as your stock headunit.

Yes, it will sound clear and digital w/ no static, and clutter free in your car, but stock headunits are an item that always needs to be replaced if you want any decent sound.

A factory XM kit can sound only as good as your stock headunit.

Yes, it will sound clear and digital w/ no static, and clutter free in your car, but stock headunits are an item that always needs to be replaced if you want any decent sound.

Granted the stock unit will never sound as good as an Alpine or Kenwood but the BOSE sounds decent and does all I want.

I used to have MTX 10s in my other vehicle and Polk speakers, but I have since moved out of that stage of my life and now just want a good radio.

Thanks for the information!

-BR

Hey guys,

Well I went with an aftermarket XM. I could not make myself dump out $300 when I got the same thing for $75 at best buy.

My question is though, does the BOSE head unit have RCA's in back? The unit has the CD/RearAV button and from my understanding, that means it has rear RCA connections.

Anybody able to shed some light on this for me?? The XM I purchased has a line out so I want to use it instead of the FM modulator.

I know I could go with the PAC unit, but If the BOSE already has RCAs then it is not a big deal.

Thanks!

Install on that is easy as pie. How are you managing the rca connections from the box? Just tucking the wires away somewhere or other?

Yep, just going to hide them under the dash somewhere. The XM unit I purchased has a line out, so I just had to get a 3.5 mini-jack to RCA.

w00t

-BR

I had an XM unit in the Pathy for about a year until I got tired of the same stations playing the same music. (Sounds kinda like why I got XM in the first place, because the FM stations were playing the same stuff). All the stations are on playlists and if you do a lot of driving, more often than not, you'll hear the same song at least once or twice on the same station in one "sitting."

I loved XM for about the first 4-5 months. I have a few friends with Sirius and they still love it after a year/some have had it for over 2. I've heard more great things about Sirius from long term subscribers and more bad things about XM.

I got my XM radio, the Roady 2 for $49 and after a year and cancelling it, I just threw it away after looking on Ebay auctions and seeing that they were selling for $20. I'm probably going to look into getting a Sirius radio pretty soon.

The Roady 2 has a built in FM modulator so I just went that route. Didn't have any problems with it either such as static or engine noise etc. Let me know after a year if you still think XM rocks! ;)

Yep, just going to hide them under the dash somewhere. The XM unit I purchased has a line out, so I just had to get a 3.5 mini-jack to RCA.

w00t

-BR

Nice, I'm basically doing the same but I chose to hardmount mine. I'm doing a set of panel mount rca's and one panel mount 3.5mini jack in the bottom of the "storage" compartment in the center console that has that spring loaded cover. Just waiting on my male rca to female panel mount 3.5 jack cable to come in.

Hear the same song twice in one sitting? Dammm dude, you're sitting in one place wayyyyy too long!

But seriously... I've been with XM about 3 or 4 years now. I absolutely love it and find their playlists at least 4X of any standard radio stations. And there are many more stations so I have not been frustrated with any lack of variety yet.

At the same time, those with Sirius seem to love it just as much. I classify it is a Pepsi/Coke thing.

I chose XM because at that time, Sirius was hemorrhaging cash at a horrific rate, while XM was only at a scary rate - so I figured if either was to survive, it would be XM. And if I was to invest in hardware (it used to be a LOT more expensive), I wanted it to be usable as long as possible. And XM was being embraced by many more head unit manufacturers.

3 years later, they are both surviving. XM is still much more financially solvent than Sirius, but the hardware is so cheap it is not so big a deal anymore.

The theory behind Sirius' 3 satellite system vs XM's 2 satellite system should, in theory, provide fewer drop outs in reception.

So if I were buying today, I would probably go with Sirius, with a 52/48 split on preference... It would probably come down to a hardware cost thing.

sirius is about to lauch a 4th satellite, a geostationary one like XM for people that have a reciever in their house so they don't have to reposition it.

I live in the bottom left corner of america and i get perfect reception all the time, both in my house and in my car.

I've tested XM radio 500 miles into baja california and never lost a signal... imagine having 150+ channels in the middle of nowhere!! Party time! I have yet to try sirius but i'd bet it's the same.

I like sirius over XM because they don't have that ClearChannel influence like XM and like FM radio.

Edited by FUELER