rear recovery points

97vapathy

I got rid of my factory ones and installed a 5,000 lb hitch, then got a heavy duty shackle and attached it to the receiver. Short of a custom set up, like a rear bumper, this is the only way to get a proper rear recovery point due to the uni-body construction.

The factory ones are just tie downs for shipping and can not withstand the forces of a recovery, especially one with any side pull.

you will have to find some other means of recovery points. I used the stock ones on my wd21 which unlike your guys' paths, it has something called a FRAME :P at anyrate, I bent mine up to fawk from side pulles. now it didnt do anything but bend up on my path, but on a caR50 it could do some serious damage IMO.

you will have to find some other means of recovery points. I used the stock ones on my wd21 which unlike your guys' paths, it has something called a FRAME :P at anyrate, I bent mine up to fawk from side pulles. now it didnt do anything but bend up on my path, but on a caR50 it could do some serious damage IMO.

Looking at how they are mounted (had to take them off to mount the hitch) I think they would just bend but not cause too much damage on their own. It is the uneven distribution of forces that will cause the problem I think.

Best idea, keep your hitch and use it. get another bumper if it bothers you too bad or fill in the space with some diamond plate.

actually, best idea would be to make a bumper that mounts where the stock bumper mounts and also mounts to where the stock hitch does. aka mounting it to as many possable locations.

trainman, I belive he wants to loose the hitch cause it KILLS departure angle. I could be wrong but thats what I take it as.

actually, best idea would be to make a bumper that mounts where the stock bumper mounts and also mounts to where the stock hitch does. aka mounting it to as many possable locations.

trainman, I belive he wants to loose the hitch cause it KILLS departure angle. I could be wrong but thats what I take it as.

I just let it drag :D

But you are right, it does wonders for departure angles for sure.

And you idea of as many mounting points as possible is right on. And a custom bumper could have as many "points" as you wanted, not just one in the center.

Edited by Trainman