Cheap 01+ MAF sensor problem fix!

88pathoffroad

so I have this same exact issue, except its happening in my 96 pathy. Now I have had the issue for about 2 years now so the truck has pretty much sat. When it first started happening, I replaced the MAF and the problem went away for about a week then came back. Here's where it gets weird....if I push on the MAF sensor "plug" it gets better sometimes. I can be driving fine, then it will happen....then go away again. This happens all the time so I just stopped driving the truck. Think this fix could help me with my issue as well?

Edited by Allmtrracin

• 2 months later...

I just did this fix on my '01 Pathfinder, and it worked like a charm. I wanted to post a few points that haven't previously been covered, and clarify some things that have.

I was getting random hesitation on acceleration especially above 3000 rpm. I had already cleaned my injectors and changed the fuel filter, so I tried to clean my MAF sensor. Unfortunately, after I put the sensor back in, my engine went into fail-safe mode and would not go above 2400 rpm. I had broken the MAF sensor, and now I needed to replace it. But when I spoke to Dave Burnette of South Point Nissan in Austin TX, he said that others have reported the same thing, and the sensor was probably already failing. My attempt to clean it just pushed it over the edge. He also told me that this fix has worked probably a thousand times since this thread began 3 years ago, and it consistently works. Made me feel better about spending the $80.

1. The part (22680-2Y001) is the "complete airflow meter assembly," which is the sensor already bolted into the plastic tube between the air filter housing and the intake manifold. This assembly attaches to the air filter housing with 4 bolts, and to the intake via a wire clamp around the rubber hose leading to the throttle body. There's a slip of paper in the packaging which refers you to TSB01-036, instructions for reprogramming the ECU after installation of the new sensor. Don't worry, though, you won't have to do that. The TSB refers to the Maxima ECU, and lists specific ECU's by part number that have to be reprogrammed. My ECU wasn't listed, so yours probably won't be either, meaning you won't have to reprogram it.

2. The TSB lists a 3-step process to fix it. You have to 1) replace the air filter and vacuum out the air filter housing, 2) replace the complete airflow meter assembly, and 3) reprogram the ECU. As stated above, the last one is not necessary for us Pathfinder owners. The first two are a good idea. I didn't replace my air filter since I do that fairly regularly and it was pretty clean, but I did vacuum out the housing.

3. It's possible, and A LOT easier to just remove the sensor and replace it instead of replacing the whole assembly. Since I had the brand-new assembly I decided not to let it go to waste and install the whole thing. However, it required completely freeing up the air filter housing in order to get the assembly out of there. Not that big a deal, just a few more bolts undone. I didn't take the whole thing out of the engine compartment, just loosened it enough to wiggle the airflow meter assembly out of the intake tube.

4. When everything was put back together, I knew the new MAF sensor was working before I even drove the car because after the engine warmed up the idle dropped below 1000. Also, the car revved to above 2400 rpm, which it couldn't do with the broken sensor. My CEL didn't go off on its own, so I just reset it with my Blazt system. If you don't have that capability, I think the light would reset itself after a few trips, but I'm not sure about that. I cleared the code (0100), and it didn't come back.

5. After this fix, my Pathfinder drives better than before! No more hesitation. The old MAF sensor was in fact failing and needed to be replaced. So, if you have hesitation issues, try cleaning (or replacing) your MAF sensor. Don't attempt to clean it if your Pathy is your primary mode of transportation, though, because with the engine in fail-safe mode you'll be limited to driving on surface streets until you can get the new part.

I'm hoping I get better mileage with the new MAF sensor. If anyone's interested, I'll let you know after I've driven it for a while and have the data.

--Howie

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...

It looks like I've got an MAF issue with my 2003 RD50. It suddenly died climbing loveland pass at around 70 mph. I made it to the shoulder and then it would not fire back up. It would start and idle for a few seconds and then just die. I had it towed home and it will now start and run but won't rev over 2500 rpms. The CEL light is on and the code is for MAF. I pulled the MAF and it looks fine.. i sprayed some electric cleaner on it and no change. Im guesing I need a new one.

Before I found this thread I tried to look up what a used one on car-part.com would run, car-part wants a manufacture month to determine which part number. How can I get the manufactur month? from the VIN? Tried usins a decoder but it wouldn't give me a month... called dealer and my truck was built 10/02.

If I decide to go the route of using a Maxima replacement, can someone direct me to a more detailed writeup of how to make it work for my 2003? I followed the Maxima forum link at the begining of this thread but it appears to be broken?

Still would like info on retrofitting the maxima maf.. the local dealer wants 309$ for the pathy maf. My maf has a 5 tab connector with all tabs being used so I will need to clip on the thermo resister or what ever its called anyone ever do this?

Ok another update.. i purchased the maxima MAF and found a great description on the maxima forum. What failed to understand before was the the maxima maf is exactly the same as the pathy and is completely setup to accept the thermistor you just have to add your old one or purchase a new one http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003/623670-where-get-thermistor-iat-sensor.html

My rig runs great now. Only problem is that CEL is still on.. hopefully I can get the code cleared soon.

Thanks in advance for your help

Edited by NOCOjay

• 4 years later...

I just replaced my MAF sensor with the Maxima one and it is now running great. My 2001 Pathfinder SE was exhibiting all of the same symptoms described by Pmoore304 to include the transmission "flaring" problem that he described so well. I did first replace the fuel filter but that wasn't the smoking gun - the MAF was definitely the culprit. The truck was bogging down and loosing powder above 3K rpms, but before that problem got progressively worse to the point of nearly stranding me on I95, the transmission would "flare" and not go into the proper gear when accelerating. This could be alleviated by slowly letting off on the accelerator until the transmission felt like it found itself and went back into gear providing torque to the rear wheels. Who knew that a problem with a mass air flow sensor could cause such a major engine as well as transmission performance issue? I ordered the part (the Maxima one) from Courtesy Nissan shipped for about $90. I installed just the sensor into the existing air flow tube in about 15 min and problem solved. The truck now drives like brand new with outstanding acceleration and no transmission shifting issues. I just wanted to say "thank you very much" for all those that contributed to this thread (especially 88pathoffroad) and other similar ones on this site related to trouble shooting the MAF and providing an alternative MAF solution (the Maxima one) that saved me at least $400.

• 1 month later...

hello guy

i have a 2001 nissan pathfinder 3.5 v6,the car used a lot of gas i get around 220 or less a tank,what could it be?i chnaged the spark plug,if i changed the MAF to the maxima one is it gonna be better in fuel mileage?

• 1 year later...