'88 A/C Issues

Guest Jerico

Guest Jerico

It seems that my A/C compressor has shelled itself. The dealer says $2000-3000 to fix it so it's back to my garage to do it myself. I've done this on a couple of my old cars, but am looking for pointers.

Any hints/suggestions would be greatly appreciated, along with hints of someplace that sells the parts reasonably and reliably. I can get them locally, but they are really proud of 'em. Also I intend to convert it to the newer R-134. Any hints on that would be appreciated also.

Thanks...

Guest Jerico

Yea, just about rediculous eh? I think it was mostly they didn't want to work on it...

2-3 grand? I thought it was like $500...weird. Anyway, you might want to talk to someone but I know we stuck the new R-134 or whatever it is in our Suburban and it had the old system. My dad called a refrigeration place, they work on businesses and whatever, and an old mechanic friend he knew and they both said they put the new stuff in the old systems. BUT I DON'T KNOW IF THIS WOULD WORK IN A Nissan. So, check first. Call around and whatever but you might be able to get away without converting to all the new crap. It'd be easier anyway, and our Suburban has worked for 2 years without problems. Anyway, just thought I'd pass the info.

Guest ferg1004

The right way is to have the system vac-ed off ( by someone that has recover equipment) them you can make your repairs, the one thing you may have to change are the ports for the R-134 fittings, then you can add your new oil (some R-134 has the oil in the coolent ) and coolent.

• 2 weeks later...

Had my '91 converted to R-134a last summer (compressor had failed). New compressor and dryer was about $500. Total for job was about $650 from a local independent mechanic. Over the last 9 mo, I've noticed that it's not quite as efficient cooling, but it works well enough and I can get R-134a most anywhere pretty cheaply.

If you're doing it yourself, here's a good source for parts, gauges, fittings, and information: http://www.ackits.com

HTH!

hey Guys, just a reminder, the reason why the R-134A retrofit kits Come with new Rings and seals sometimes is beacuase the r-134A Rots the Seals and Causes Leaks. You may want to check and see what the Compatability chart says about the pathy. most auto parts Places have crossover kits for about 100 Bucks with the Charging Oil, Fittings, seals, Gagues,and Refrigerant. Just an Idea....