vg30e 2wd truck engine to 4wd pathfinder

jgt

i donno for sure but i would def compare the pickup...i would think the 4wd pan is deeper which would mean the pickup tube should be deeper...i doubt they used the same 1 if they did i would think they would have just used the same pans for both to have cost savings...a side note...i'd do rear main seal while i was in there

Yes, you will have to swap pans and pickup at the least. Oil pump is (basically) the same. If you REALLY wanna get crazy, swap in a 300ZX oil pump. Higher volume. Also, the 4wd pan is deeper, but less total capacity, by almost a quart. But, the 2wd pan won't fit in a 4wd truck. At least not with the front diff and crossmember in place.

I do not know what differences there are but the last time I bought a complete rebuild kit the oil pumps for the 2 wd and the 4 wd had different part numbers. The people I bought it from said it was differnt volumes but I do not believe they really knew.

2wd and 4wd water pumps are different as well....

Oil pumps, the 4wd will have the tapped whole on the bottom for the timing belt cover, 2wd does not.... May have to use the 2wd timing cover stuff... 2wd should also have the timing mark and the 4wd doesnt, atleast none of my 4wd stuff had it...

My 91's engine came from a 2wd, I stripped it down to the block and heads, cam and crank sprockets are the rounded ones vs the square from the 91, 2wd timing cover and water pump... intake up is original 91 stuff as well as the flywheel(had to repull the motor because the jdm did not match up with the starter... may have to pull it again rear main leaks after replacing it twice....

Pretty easy swap over... we are here to help if you hit a brick wall B)

nope not done yet. Need help. We are 12 hours into it tonight and cannot get the engine out. The front axle is in the way of the oil pan. Gary (my friend) has spent the last couple of hours trying to get that engine out. He's pooped.

Ok, does he have to remove the 3rd cross member to get this engine out? it's a 92 4x4 model. thanks. julie

we've stopped for the day. 14 hours :blink:

donor motor: 2wd 1994 hardbody truck, auto

ours: 4wd 1992 pathfinder xe 5 spd

yes, I forsee brick walls. thanks guys and gals. now for a glass of wine and call it a night :bed:

Edited by jgt

Make sure you remove the auto trans pilot converter from the back of the crankshaft on the new engine before trying to drop it in and bolt it up. The auto-equipped engines got an additional collar inside the crank that the manual engines didn't get. You need a pilot bushing installed on the crank for the MT.

I believe everything on the top is the same between the 2... Ask Slick about the auto trans pilot converter from the back of the crankshaft :hide:

I dont know if your new motor has the 4wd waterpump, But while your in there, have some fun, Timing Belt, waterpump and t-stat....

Also while the donor motor is out you can swap out the exhaust studs... Much easier to work on when its out...

You will notice between the 2 motors the new one does not have a tapped hole on the bottom of the oil pump, hopefully you still have the lower timing cover that came with the motor.

That also has the 4wd water pump :aok:

Make sure you remove the auto trans pilot converter from the back of the crankshaft on the new engine before trying to drop it in and bolt it up. The auto-equipped engines got an additional collar inside the crank that the manual engines didn't get. You need a pilot bushing installed on the crank for the MT.

on both the auto engine out of the maxima and out of wheelmans 95 auto i did not ever find this adaptor...just beat the pilot bushing in... :shrug:

for the timing belt cover...IIRC the 2wd truck is the same as the maxima...and when i built up the maxima engene i just used the same TB cover that it had just switched over from the short neck wp to the long neck wp (i know it was a hb i cant remember if it was 2wd or 4 im pretty sure it was 2wd tho)...and that way if for some reason you have a wp go bad right after a tb change u can pull it out of the middle of the belt with out effin with the belt...