Steering wobble...

SaKaNa

So I've had this knocking sound from my front passenger suspension for a while. Couldnt figure out WTF it was, so I went out and got deep into the woods, had a few large drops that the suspension made it through, etc.

So I get out. I'm goin up the highway, gaining and gaining speed. Once I get to a NORMALLY comfortable 85MPH... theres this insane trembling in my steering wheel, the thing goes back and forth non-stop, almost if I'm out of alignment. But then, if its the alignment, how come that knocking sound is suddenly gone?

I bet I have some kind of shopping cart wheel thing going on here, but I cant see it.

I'd suspect either debris stuck to a wheel or a missing wheel weight first. Check your struts for missing or loose bolts.

Yea, nissandoms brought this up on AIM... I drove through alot of thick, icy mud, wet clay, sand, and water. Theres probably a @!*%load of it stuck in those big stock rims. I'll need to take a look at it tomorrow.

I have a similar problem that I've had for the last few months. I was hoping it was just out of balance tires or a bad alignment but it didn't go away when I fixed either. It could be that the new tires don't balance perfectly since I'm still getting a little shake, but not as bad as it used to be.

I too have a vibration in my steering wheel.

I've replaced the rims, the tires, front struts, packed the wheel bearings, and aligned it.

I have a feeling it's warped brake rotors from the way the vibration gets stronger when i'm on the brakes but a vibration exists all around from 50mph and up.

I have brand new rotors chillin' in the garage but no time or $$ to install...

good luck with your wobbles, all. Shakey steering wheels absolutely disgust me and i want to get rid of it....

anybody else have any ideas? like ball joints or tie rod ends?

Its not that it bothers me much, my arm muscles just get extremely tired from all that heavy vibration when I'm crusing at highway speeds.

I dont think its my brakes cause I went from a strange knocking sound, to insane rocking in the steering, the two HAVE to be connected.

I took a look a few minutes ago at the rims, they dont seem to have TOO much stuff on the side I looked on, I dont know about the other, but I'll try to hose them out a bit tomorrow ... well, probably the next day, to see what happens.

After a nerve racking drive at 90mph to school, my arms were exhausted from trying to hold onto that violently vibrating steering wheel. I pull into the parking lot and decide its class-skipping time. I look at my rims, and see that they have so much mud in them that they look like they're clay+metal rims. I climb around in my trunk till I find a screwdriver. I start smashing the mudaround untill I can actually see my brakes... On the drive back home when I had decided I'd missed enough of class, the drive was nice and smooth.

BUT WHERE DID MY SUSPENSION CLUNKING NOISE GO?! That I STILL cant figure out.

Edited by SaKaNa