help needed with 91 pathy

88blk4x4

I have 2 pathifinders. 1 is a 1988 2 door 4wd v6 auto that the tranny went out in, I bought a 1991 4 door 4wd v6 auto for parts. the 88 has a good motor and bad tranny, the 91 has a good tranny, but bad motor. how hard is to change the motors in these and is there any difference in the 2 motors other than the 88 being carb and 91 is FI?? thanks in advance, Charles

pull the motors... Strip the 88's top down to the heads(May want to replace the Head gaskets), new Timing belt, H2O pump and T-Stat put the 91 intake up on it and reinstall.... might want to swap fly wheels too.... not positive they are the same....

Add some Thorley's, Oil Filter relo kit and your ready for some fun in the 91....

Milage on the 88?

Part it out for $$$ for the Thorley's....

pull the motors... Strip the 88's top down to the heads(May want to replace the Head gaskets), new Timing belt, H2O pump and T-Stat put the 91 intake up on it and reinstall.... might want to swap fly wheels too.... not positive they are the same....

Add some Thorley's, Oil Filter relo kit and your ready for some fun in the 91....

Milage on the 88?

Part it out for $$$ for the Thorley's....

may have to swap ECU's too ;) but as thomas said... do the swap into the 91. no, swapping motors won't be difficult, just a bit time consuming, but worth it. ;)

Slick as long as he swaps intakes and all those components he wont have to do any ecu swappage...my ? is whats wrong with the engine in the 91? popped timing belt? if thats the case i would seriously tear down the top end see whats up with it...if its just bent valves swap valves and put her back together nad it would be a lot less work than swapping engines...assuming that the 91 is what you want to be driving?

Slick as long as he swaps intakes and all those components he wont have to do any ecu swappage...my ? is whats wrong with the engine in the 91? popped timing belt? if thats the case i would seriously tear down the top end see whats up with it...if its just bent valves swap valves and put her back together nad it would be a lot less work than swapping engines...assuming that the 91 is what you want to be driving?

the 91 is the one I want to fix since it's a 4 door. the 91 has 226,000 miles and dropped a rod bearing. it still tries to start, it turns over about 2 times and you hear a loud clunk...you have to let off the starter and then turn it over again for about 2 more turns, then it clunks again. I'm trying to decide to rebuild the motor in the 91 or pull the one from the 88 and swap it. the motor in the 88 runs like a dream. lots of power and does about 22mpg.

^^yea what he said...but it will be a good bit of work/ time but its def possible...if ure looking for a quick fix for now i would throw the 91 tranny into the 88...

I'm not really concerned about the time it will take. the trans in the 88 went out in May. it decided it didnt like reverse anymore. it wants to go forward in all of the gears, even N. I found the 91 and bought it for parts, but it's better shape than the 88. and I paid ALOT less for it..lol..

just curious...did u check out the shift cable? im not real familiar with autos but i worked on a caviler that did the same thing and it was slop in the ball joints on both the tranny end and the shifter end...

I had the trans shop check it out. they dropped the pan and it was full of metal peices and shavings. they said the clutch packs probably welded together. they want 1600.00 to pull it and rebuild it and put back in. I only had it for about a month before it quit, so I found the 1991 4 door that has a good tranny and bought the whole car for 400.00

^^yea what he said...but it will be a good bit of work/ time but its def possible...if ure looking for a quick fix for now i would throw the 91 tranny into the 88...

are there any tricks or tips to make it easier? I have never changed a motor in a pathfinder. I have changed the motor a couple of times in mustang.

I know that this forum is loosing people because pathys are dieing out but did everyone forget what they know???

The motor from the 88 will fit in the 91 but the ECU will be screwed up looking for sensors the 88 motor does not have. One you must add to the 88 motor is the knock sensor. It is a pita to put in but it can be done. It is located under the intake plenum on the 91 motor. Take it off and then find a good spot on the 88 motor drill a hole and mount it. If you do not do this when the motor is out you will kick yourself later. The other missing sensors can be fixed after everything is running.

Make sure you have a Haynes/Chiltons Manual. Granted they dont cover everything but it way better than doing it blind.....

If you have a Auto Trans... You dont have to drop the front axel to get just the engine out... Also leave the Torque Converted attached to the Tranny....

If you get stumped or stuck, ask on here, some of us would even be willing to talk you through....

(Good call on the Knock sensor)

I know that this forum is loosing people because pathys are dieing out but did everyone forget what they know???

The motor from the 88 will fit in the 91 but the ECU will be screwed up looking for sensors the 88 motor does not have. One you must add to the 88 motor is the knock sensor. It is a pita to put in but it can be done. It is located under the intake plenum on the 91 motor. Take it off and then find a good spot on the 88 motor drill a hole and mount it. If you do not do this when the motor is out you will kick yourself later. The other missing sensors can be fixed after everything is running.

so I'll have to drill a hole in the block?? I might just rebuild the 91's motor or get a crank kit for it. I dont like the idea of drilling a hole...might hit a water jacket and really be screwed

I would be willing to bet there is a hole already there and tapped on your 88 block... If not then you can mount it on the back of the block in a more accessable location....

Someone on here mounted it to their Plenum.... its easy....

I would be willing to bet there is a hole already there and tapped on your 88 block... If not then you can mount it on the back of the block in a more accessable location....

Someone on here mounted it to their Plenum.... its easy....

I'll get the plenum out of the way and see. after it warms up a little....no garage to work in and it's about 35 here. I hope it has a hole already

yep.... unless the engine is out, then you can reach in from the back...

Personally... Do the swap and if no hole on the 88 block for the Knock, just relocate it some where accessable.... Piece of Cake....

YOU CAN DOOOO ITTTT!!!!!