Oxygen sensors (size matters)

lgranch

Ok there has been alot of O2 sensor discussion on the forum over time. Prices listed for sensors that I find hard to understand, some way high some way low. I did not find a size discussion about O2 sensors.

I have a 91 parts Pathy and and most of the time running 95. This past week I tore off the bad exhaust on the 95 and replaced it with the one from the 91. The difference was in 2 areas. The 95 has 2 cats and the 91 only has one. The other problem is that the O2 sensors are different sizes (thread diameters) The 91 sensor does not seem to functionon the 95 pathy. The truck runs like crap with it plugged in and good with it unplugged. But the 95 sensor is too large for the pipe from the 91.

The parts listing however say the it is the SAME O2 sensor for both years. This can not be. Any ideas????

Side note on pricing a sensor for the 95 is $68 anywhere and the one where you have to splice in the wires yourself is $45 anywhere. I have seen prices posted as low as $15 on the forum and other places where people think $110 is a good deal.

i paid ~$40 for a bosh O2 that doesn't need to be spliced in; direct plug'n play.

and are you sure about the sizes? maybe someone monekeyd with this before? pretty sure they should be the same although you could call your local parts dealer and find out for sure.

2 cats ?? Never heard of that on a WD21. I wonder if it isn't a 'custom' exhaust set up ?

B

you know, i saw the 2 cats and kind of hmm for a second but i thought maybe it's a cali car and they (nissan) did some monkeying with stuff about 95.

Well I found out some things about oxygen sensors. In 1994 the entire system changed according to Nissan. They went from an OBD I to an OBD II system. The sensors are different in the signal they supply the ECU. I still do not know why 2 cats on the pathy. It started life in Ohio.

yeah, nissan keeps on insisting that they went to OBDII in 94 and they did in some vehicles but pathys changed in 96. there could be an odd one here and there though.

if it started in ohio i almost guarantee you that's not the original piping.. salt eats the heck out of exhausts here in midwest.

It would not surprise me if maybe some of them did have some odd changes done to them... it is not unheard of for automakers to experiment on the final year prior to a major redesign.

My yota for example, it's an '83 and the last year of that body style. It has a few things that are a little different than prior years and even different than most others of the same year.

One example is the charging system, it is one of only approx. 300 trucks wordwide with that system. First time the Alt. went out was a major PITA, ended up paying $150 @ the dealer.

Second time, we looked and looked and looked some more (we being the parts guys and I) until finally we discovered that my Alt. had been used for a short time in the ealry/mid 70's on another model and they had one on the shelf. But the Vol. Reg. did not mach that model either, it was also different.

It's all sorted out now and I know what I need before I go the the parts store... next time I will just get the mounting brackets from NWOR and put a chevy 1wire on it... but then, I have said that before too :blink: