Need an oil filter relocation kit?

88pathoffroad

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a great idea. I had to change my starter a few weeks ago, which I'm sure oil changes had a part in. I love how someone actually thought it would be a good idea to put the filter right above the starter. Like it would be OK to dump oil all over an electrical component (which is a b*tch to get out, btw) every 3000 miles. Damn engineers. :)

Guest SuperSon

Thanks guys :D I thought that was a dual . I looked at the pic and didnt even bother looking at the description.

post-9-1164166907.jpg

Edited by SuperSon

I clicked a few links from your link 88, and found this dual filter kit:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.a...r=1#Application

Will it fit on my '90 SE-V6?

Thanks guys biggrin.gif I thought that was a dual . I looked at the pic and didnt even bother looking at the description.

Did you hear about the guy that thought he was buying a PS3, but in reality he bought the email address "hotps3s@hotmail.com" or something like that, for $890.

I clicked a few links from your link 88, and found this dual filter kit:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.a...r=1#Application

Will it fit on my '90 SE-V6?

Did you hear about the guy that thought he was buying a PS3, but in reality he bought the email address "hotps3s@hotmail.com" or something like that, for $890.

Same thing but a dual kit, yup. I just didn't want to have to change 2 filters on mine. ;)

I have the Dual and placed it on the passenger side...

oilrelovl1.jpg

I just made a bracket out of a peice of metal from Home Depot and a couple bucks worth of nuts/washers/bolts (totaled less than $5 in parts)

Plenty of room for the larger PH8A filters that it uses. (in the pic I have a shorter version of the filter - and these are Bosch brand)

*I have since trimmed the bracket so it is flush with the relo and have still not re-routed the +Batt. cable :lol:

I'm thinking about fabbing up a tray to go under mine. Maybe put a hole in one corner so the oil can drip into an old yogurt container or something.

RedPath88, and others with similar setups, do you have to worry about twisting your mounting bracket when reefing on the filters? Or is it skookum enough to handle the torque?

Guest SuperSon
I'm thinking about fabbing up a tray to go under mine.  Maybe put a hole in one corner so the oil can drip into an old yogurt container or something.

RedPath88, and others with similar setups, do you have to worry about twisting your mounting bracket when reefing on the filters?  Or is it skookum enough to handle the torque?

Are this kit prone to leakage?

Why not just put a rag underneath when changing the filters coz fish idea is cool but you still have to clean that drain pan afterwards?

I just noticed the way Red routed his hose, The way its routed isnt that kinda too close to the manifold? It can be attached on the other side of the adapter on the left side looking from the engine bay ?

Edited by SuperSon

The bracket is plenty strong to hold it... and I hold the bracket when I untwist the filters (they should not be *that* tight either ;) )

The leakage they are talking about is when you remove the filters. I just stuffed a rag under mine when I did it the firs time. My second oil change is coming up in less than 1500 miles (around two weeks from now) and I will just unbolt the bottom of the bracket and flip the filters over to allow draining. (loosen one bolt and remove the other.. no biggy :shrug:

I have a good 3-4in between the hoses and manifold, it's not an issue for me :aok:

• 9 months later...
I'mna put mine under the fenderwell at the front near the body mount or so. Just so it doesn't drain oil all over everything inside the fenderwells...

Hey 88, do you have a pic of where you mounted your oil filter?

Just checking out my mounting options.

The relocation kit is next on my list of mods.

thanks

Are this kit prone to leakage?

Why not just put a rag underneath when changing the filters coz fish idea is cool but you still have to clean that drain pan afterwards?

I just put the filter in a plastic grocery bag before unscrewing it from the mount. That way all the oil drips into the bag instead of all over the fender well.

I just put the filter in a plastic grocery bag before unscrewing it from the mount. That way all the oil drips into the bag instead of all over the fender well.

I Love the Brilliance of that.... :aok: Oil change kit to now include the bag everything came in....

Just ordered the transdapt PN #1213 from LORDCO.

I guess i 'confused' them before when i said i needed one for a pathy. Apparently it says ford in their books or something.

Was going to order a dual from summit until I got a quote for shipping and 'handling' fees. Duty at the border was unknown to them.

BTW the dual at LORDCO was $82.00 in canadian funds; no shipping or 'handling costs either!

Unfortunately im gonna have to wait for 4 weeks for it.

Guess i'll be focusing my efforts on other pathy projects in the meantime!

I might even get a chance to get to the trails! :jig:

man i work too much! :angry:

Edited by AlMac

• 2 weeks later...
I Love the Brilliance of that.... :aok: Oil change kit to now include the bag everything came in....

Dude... that's the most practical idea I've heard for almost any vehicle application!

I have a 88 wd21, and want to be 100% for sure I am getting the right part # on the summit dual filter relocation setup... anyone got that handy?!