Cheap/easy lights

Mr. Pickles

My stock driving lights were long ago cracked and trashed by rocks. I went with some P.O.S. cheap ones for the last year. Then I was finally fed up with this. The stock lights required the headlights to be on in order to work. I like them on by themselves (with parking/"running" lights) in the morning, dusk, etc. So, here we go...

I popped off the switch in the console and determined that the purple + wire was the switched power source from the headlights, running through the switch and then out the yellow wire to the relay under the hood. I simply swapped power from the headlights by tapping into that of the parking lights and running it to the switch.

That was quick, and simple as can be to allow me to run the driving lights with just the parking lights, but eliminate the annoyance of a separate aftermarket switch and the fun of forgetting to turn it off, stranding me with a dead battery.

And this is the 2nd half of the text I lost the first time. Bedtime!...

I tossed the cheapy driving lights I'd been using for... more cheapies! These are FAR better, however. Pilot brand PL-1055C, $24.99 at the local GI Joes.

They're actually quite bright, and fit right in the stock location in the bumper. The bracket just needs a gentle bend to tweak it, and 2 small holes drilled. They're really plain white out of the box. The bulbs are the same wattage as stock (I swapped in 55 watt Nokya Arctic Blue H3's) so no wiring required, I just hooked it right back in with the stock set-up. Here's what they look like.

Dude, each one of those pics is 1.2-1.3 MEGABYTES in filesize. Resize those things! We don't need to see fingerprints on the surface of the vinyl in your interior! I dunno about you, but my monitor won't go any bigger than 1280x1064, and those pics are 2048x1536!

I may have to do the same thing soon. I really want some lights on my pathy and I did the same thing on my old Hardbody, but I had to cut out the plastic to place the lights in the "stock" location.

Where did you get the different bulbs from?

post-9-1083251633.jpg

Sorry about the pics, as you can see, things were giving me trouble big time. I had resized them, and then they wouldn't link for some reason. Tried 4 or 5 times, and it wouldn't go. I was finally just tired and frustrated, and just put them up as they are.

I got the bulbs at a local "ricer" shop for about $30. You can find them cheaper on Ebay, etc. but I didn't feel like waiting around. The combination is REALLY bright, I like it. The driving lights are about as bright at the headlights. :aok:

I bought one new headlight form these guys on ebay.

Headlight

That is the whole assembly, glass and bulb. If you just need new bulbs go to shucks or any auto part store. If you want the super bright or tinted bulds do a search on ebay.

The stock fog lights use regular old H3 bulbs, no fancy wiring required. The challenge is finding a set that fit in the stock location in the bumper (if that's where you want them). I found those Pilots at a local store (GI Joes) retailing for $24.99. The part # is above in my previous post. Can't beat that. I just had to slightly bend the brackets (you'll see, no big deal AT ALL, hand bent) and drill 2 small holes in the bracket behind the bumper. Simple as can be, CHEAP, and very satisfying.

And they are much brighter then the stock ones. I have an old on and a new one on cause there was a hole in one. You can tell the difference at night. I will have to replce the other to balance the lighting out.

Mr.Pickles, you must be a Washington or Oregon resident since you shop at GI Joes.

Yup, I live in Kent, about 20 miles south of Seattle. Gotta love GI Joes, the definitive guy's store. Whoever decided to put an auto parts and sporting goods store together should get a medal or a cookie or something.

What a small world. I am just up the 277th hill towards GRCC.

How do you get down to that road that goes along the Green River that you go over on 277th? Need to do some fishin there.

Very nice. That road is kinda tucked away by my place. Come down the hill, then turn right on Central. Take another right at 259th, then follow it as it turns into Green River Rd. There's some cool parks in there, fishing spots, and a golf course down the road a ways. It goes all the way into Auburn and meets up with 8th St NE/Lea Hill Rd by Green River CC.