OME spring part numbers

tmorgan4

Just double checking Rocky Road here...They list the OME HD front springs as part number OME923, ARB lists this application as OME928.

I have the OME923 coils (not installed yet) and wondered why it doesn't match up. :o

• 2 years later...

Tyler,

i just noticed the same discrepancy and have emailed ARB.... but wondering if by any chance, you ever figured this out..... and how you liked the HD fronts??

Part # OME923 is listed as OME923 PATHFINDER FRONT HD (on some websites)

Part # OME928 is listed as OME928 NISSAN R50 FRONT HD (on other websites)

Thanks

Also to point out, rocky road changed their description on their webpage to 2" lift, not 1" lift. Of course the spec sheets from ARB for the Old Man Emu's still say 0.5" lift... Is it possible that there are two versions of OMEs out there?

Went through this as well. ARB told me that Rocky Road includes some sort of spacer that adds the height. Now I know they sell a trim packer, but it sounded like there was yet a separate thing. The guy at ARB was really nice, but it seemed he was tired of answering the question. FYI - last time I spoke to Rocky Road, the OME coils were on like a 4 week back-order. He said it wasn't the supplier (I assume ARB) but that they were just behind. This was like 2-3 weeks ago. The rest of the order came in great time.

I cancelled the coils, etc and had a local shop order direct from ARB. They were delivered in like 4 days. Installing this Wednesday!

and yup... its confirmed. I downloaded ARB's Nissan catalog as a PDF from arbusa.com

ome921 is light duty (but rocky road lists them as medium)

ome923 is medium (but rocky road lists as heavy)

ome928 is heavy duty (rocky road does not sell)

so when you buy your OME heavy duty coils from rocky road, you're really getting medium coils. I wonder how many people have been shorted on this!!! The rocky road website is many years old...

and yup... its confirmed. I downloaded ARB's Nissan catalog as a PDF from arbusa.com

ome921 is light duty (but rocky road lists them as medium)

ome923 is medium (but rocky road lists as heavy)

ome928 is heavy duty (rocky road does not sell)

so when you buy your OME heavy duty coils from rocky road, you're really getting medium coils. I wonder how many people have been shorted on this!!! The rocky road website is many years old...

Glad I cancelled my order!! - Thanks for figuring this out. :beer:

Adam,

we actually build 3 springs for the front of your Pathfinder. 921, 923, and 928. They are engineered to carry different amounts of weight.

OME921 Stock weight

OME923 Up to 110lbs weight (typically a bumper fitted, but no winch)

OME928 110-220lbs of weight (springs appropriate for a vehicle with a Bullbar and winch).

These trucks are sensitive to being over lifted so it's important to choose the appropriate coil for your particular truck to avoid alignment problems. Let me know if you have further questions.

Best Regards,

Marc Bowers

Tech Supervisor

Air Locker, Inc.

425-264-1391

720 SW 34th St.

Renton, WA 98057

Just great. now im wondering if the real HD will be too much up front? I do not have a winch or bumper.

Of all the people who have advised to get HD up front, i'll bet most of them actually have the medium springs from rocky road, which are falsely advertised as HD.

Please advise

Glad I cancelled my order!! - Thanks for figuring this out. :beer:

i'm glad i was able to help. i've read a lot of bad things about rocky road before, i guess this is another one to add to the list.

Can't complain about the sliders I got from them, except the install instructins were wrong...but the product was good! Regardless the spring thing is a joke. :wtf:

I've talked to a few guys, including ARB directly and everyone indicated the true HD were really not such a good idea unless you have an aftermarket bumper (ARB, go figure). The reason given was that there isn't enough weight in front of a stock R50 to compress the HD springs enough, making the ride really tough. Yeah it will raise the front a good bit, but at the cost of a reasonable ride. The weight chart you included is what I have heard as well.

This does make unfortunate sense as I have heard different responses on the HD coils and it must depend on where they were purchased from.

Good luck man - anxious to know what happens.

i know your sliders look good, saw them over on nico forums.

i do want the front lifted.... i prefer the raked back "socal" lifts vs the stinkbug where the rear is higher than the front

dont care about ride quality, im sure it will be fine, only question is cv axle angle....

i know your sliders look good, saw them over on nico forums.

i do want the front lifted.... i prefer the raked back "socal" lifts vs the stinkbug where the rear is higher than the front

dont care about ride quality, im sure it will be fine, only question is cv axle angle....

I'll be damned. Sure enough, I'm riding on 923's in front from 4x4parts - listed as "Heavy Duty" on the 4x4parts website, but really OME's "Medium Load" per the Old Man Emu website. But I like 'em. Still, pretty lame that they are mis-characterized. You might want to call Old Man Emu directly to get the straight scoop on ride height and CV angle: Toll-free: 1-888-907-4625.

So, does the 921, 923, and 928 add 1.75" (as listed on rocky-road) or 0.5" (as listed on ARB chart)? I am aware that rocky-road only sells 921 and 923, i think.

The 923 gave me about 2.25" of lift at first, which has settled to about 1.5". And even enough front to back to avoid the tow-truck look.

Mine are back up for sale if anybody wants them. Pre-settled and fully assembled on KYB GR2 struts. I completely forgot about this post but I did end up getting the HD springs. I called Rocky Road before I ordered them and made sure I was getting the right ones.

Now this has got me wondering. I ordered the "HD" front springs from Rocky Road and I think I got the 923's (I'll have to check my pics), so if I did get the 923's then I guess I have the "Medium" springs and not the "HD"'s....

Zibi, the springs I installed gave me about 1.75" lift initially, now it's settled out to around 1.5" or maybe 1.25"...

Edited by HitTheTrails

• 1 year later...

Digging up this oldy to hone in on one point. I'm planning to replace my springs later this year...was planning on getting the HD (928s) from OME based on lots of other threads I'd read recommending them. I admittedly don't do much wheeling..but do get out there to the mountains a lot for camping, skiing, etc. I have a general gear preference to go with "beefier" stuff with the philosophy of rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. So I'm wondering if folks think I might regret going with HD...as opposed to MD up front(LD is out). I guess the only real concern might be too stiff a ride which was alluded to by some in this thread. But I HATE the floaty ride I have now.

Currently my front end is totally stock..my bumper is rusting and I plan to replace and "would" go with an aftermarket beefier bumper but they don't seem to be out there for R50's so will likely replace with OEM. No need for a winch. My OEM splash guard is toast from 13 years of oil changes so will likely replace with a skid plate..prefer to get Fleurys' once those latest version are avail vs giving AC more business. Lastly, I might add a bull bar or some such giving there are SO many deer around where I live. Thanks for any opinions based on experiences out there...

piste, if you're looking for a full, replacement bumper, check this:

My link

it's the link morpheus provided for the KMA bumpers that is being talked about in OfftourRoadie's thread.

really makes me want to get a simple one for the front and a simple one for the rear with the tow hitch so i don't have to buy a separate tow hitch. my driving is very similar to yours with no plans of lifting the truck. i would think the 923s would be more than enough for our trucks with one of these bumpers and no winch, as far as what that e-mail said from ARB.

I got the OME923s, the MD ones that RockyRoad still lists as being HD. The reason I decided to go MD is because I'm still running a stock bumper and will be for the foreseeable future. The HD springs are simply stiffer, and as I only do some mild wheeling and exploring on occasion with my truck being mostly on the pavement, I also do not see the point in having a harsh ride for little gains.

I'm glad with my decision, the 923s ride very nice. I did not measure how much lift they actually gave me, but my opinion is that any slight lift gained by going with the HDs over the MDs is not worth it. While running 31s I simply just don't get the ground clearance to take my truck a lot of places that many other trucks can, and an extra 1/4 inch wouldn't help it.

I would say your determining factor should be whether or not you intend on adding significant weight to the front of your truck. If you're going to install beefy skid plates and an aftermarket bumper, definitely get the HDs, if you're going to continue with the stock bumper, the MDs will serve you well and ride quite nicely.

• Like 1

I would say your determining factor should be whether or not you intend on adding significant weight to the front of your truck. If you're going to install beefy skid plates and an aftermarket bumper, definitely get the HDs, if you're going to continue with the stock bumper, the MDs will serve you well and ride quite nicely.

x 2 on the front coils.

So the MD coils don't provide as much lift as they HD coils? :scratchhead:

My understanding is the amount of lift is independent of light, medium, heavy rating....you can get light, medium, or heavy with half inch lift...you can alternatively get light, medium, heavy in 1 inch lift...etc....every load rating might not be available at every lift amount...but you get the idea...check out Rugged Rocks web site for more info. A given load rating does not in and of itself dictate lift amount...and vice versa.

Edited by piste

I got the OME923s, the MD ones that RockyRoad still lists as being HD. The reason I decided to go MD is because I'm still running a stock bumper and will be for the foreseeable future. The HD springs are simply stiffer, and as I only do some mild wheeling and exploring on occasion with my truck being mostly on the pavement, I also do not see the point in having a harsh ride for little gains.

I'm glad with my decision, the 923s ride very nice. I did not measure how much lift they actually gave me, but my opinion is that any slight lift gained by going with the HDs over the MDs is not worth it. While running 31s I simply just don't get the ground clearance to take my truck a lot of places that many other trucks can, and an extra 1/4 inch wouldn't help it.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Have you tried the HD yourself or are you basing your recommendation against them ...e.g. "harsh ride"...on what you've heard from others and/or read (not to say that's not valid)? The reason I ask is....my Pathy is so floaty a ride now it's hard for me to imagine it's ride getting too harsh due to springs alone. The MD might indeed be the best way to go for me to stiffen up the ride without going too far down that road. Most likely I'll be adding a skid in the future but that's about it. Lastly, it's my understanding that the LD, MD and HD ALL are available in half inch lift which is what I'd go with.....but maybe what's listed isn't reality and the half inch MD actually have slightly less lift than the half inch HD??