vibration wheel / tire / entire truck

mishikwest

There is another thread going on now about vibration and balance, but mine is alittle different.

For a few months I've had a wierd vibration. Comes through the seat, and the shift lever console. Steering wheel too. Also you can see the hood vibrate back and forth. Starts around 50mph.

My tires (crummy 235's ! ) where shot, and I figured I had a rear out of balance.

Just got new rubber and wheels. 31x 10.5 Mickey Thompson M/T. 15 x 8's black steelies with 3.75 offest. Thought my vibration issues would be gone with my old dry rotted rubber, but the exact same VIBRATION is still there! Any ideas? Alignment issue?

oh, tires kick serious a$$, and look tough. :P

thx

im going thru the same thing on my 95 and havent swapped tires and rims yet...but im starting to hear a lil squeel so im thinking 1 of my wheel bearings is shot or loose or something to that effect...

i've also heard of rotors being warped and causing a problem but u should be able to feel that in the pedal...

mine shakes the ever living crap out of everything from 50-70ish then i guess i reach a harmonic freq and its pretty smooth

How old are the Shocks/Struts? Are the ball joints shot? Uper and lower control arm bushings? How about an alignment, all cars and trucks need alignments after a period of time, no matter how carefully you drive.

Edited by kmgar99

• 2 months later...

changed my spindles (because i knew the races and bearings were good and was a lot easier to change), upper and lower ball joints and almost all of my shake in the steering wheel is gone at highway speeds...

but further checking my rear wheel bearings are bad too and i still get pretty bad shakes coming from the rear but still comes up thru the shifter, seats and all of that stuff...

chock the wheels, check that all lugs are tight and jack it up and push back and forth on the wheel (top and bottom of the fronts) if u get movement you more than likely have a wheel bearing bad...

also check what others have listed...

if it's doing the same thing w/ 2 different sets of wheels and tires, I would think you had a warped axle....if you have a floor jack, jack up the truck on the differential and have someone sitting in it to start it and put it in gear w/ both tires off the ground...stand behind it and have them give it gas and watch the rear tires....if a axle is warped, 1 will bounce up and down....

Edited by 88blk4x4