Shuddering Noise From The Rear End

John124

I have a 1991 Pathfinder that periodically makes a shuddering or thunking noise coming from the rear end when turning in low speeds, particularly in parking lot situations.

Can anyone explain this to me? Is this common?

Thanks.

John

:blink: do you have the LSD or open? when was the last time you checked the gear oil in it? does it have the correct gear oil? all suspension components tight down there and to spec torque?

My 93 is doing the same thing. I was told that the spider gears were siezed and that I should get a new rear end. I found a place that that has some 93 rear ends for around $500 but it is about another $500 to get it on. Could it be as easy as changing the fluid?

My 93 is doing the same thing. I was told that the spider gears were siezed and that I should get a new rear end. I found a place that that has some 93 rear ends for around $500 but it is about another $500 to get it on. Could it be as easy as changing the fluid?

not if the gears are shot, but yes, mine had a whine/clunk. fresh gear oil and all is well (i have the LSD on both trucks)

did whoever told you the gears were shot actually open up/remove the diff cover and LOOK? or are they guessing?

He checked the fluid and said it looked fine (no water). He didn't open it up because he said there was a chance that the gears could just come out if something as broken. I went wheeling a few weeks ago and it was acting like it was locked. The guy looking at it works at a shop so i'm not sure if he is just trying to make some money.

Heh. I have yet to see a working diff fall apart if you open it up. By the way, it's a 50+ lb centersection, he'd have a hard time *just* "opening it up" to see what was inside...

On some Chevy trucks with LSD, they come pre-loaded so tightly that the LSD doesn't slip hardly at all around corners. When the truck makes a turn, the shuddering noise would be one tire slipping as you move(or the LSD slipping internally), because the LSD is basically locking the rear diff up.

I'd say that if you only encounter this kind of noise while turning, it's the stock LSD being a real tightass, or someone welded the rear diff before you got it. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I changed the gear oil in the limited slip differential and the noise was reduced considerably, but not eliminated all together. I later added some a lsd additive and the shuddering is gone altogther now! Thanks for all the help.