Exhaust system on R50

96SE

I found a small hole at the back of part number 9. Not being very familiar with the exhaust system in the truck, it prompted me to do some research and ask a few questions. I found a diagram of the system here: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ind...=11&catalogid=2

A muffler muffles noise from the engine so we don't sound like a souped up Honda, so what does the resonator do? Unmuffle some of the noise/add a nice growl to the V6?

The muffler listed on that diagram is "muffler and pipe 2wd". Is the 4wd different to allow for suspension changes? I would think that the only difference between 2 and 4wd would be in the front drivetrain, not the suspension.

Is part #4 the catalytic converter? i know there are two on the truck (well, I just had two replaced so there better be two!), where is the other one?

If you have any more info/tips/whatever, throw it in here too!

Also, I plan to patch the hole, any products to recommend?

Thanks

Adam

post-9-1159881892.gif

IThe muffler listed on that diagram is "muffler and pipe 2wd". Is the 4wd different to allow for suspension changes? I would think that the only difference between 2 and 4wd would be in the front drivetrain, not the suspension.

Is part #4 the catalytic converter? i know there are two on the truck (well, I just had two replaced so there better be two!), where is the other one?

If you have any more info/tips/whatever, throw it in here too!

Also, I plan to patch the hole, any products to recommend?

Thanks

Adam

sorry, I misunderstood what you were asking :P . Ok, the two exhaust systems should be the same. The factory stuff is pretty much garbage. #4 in your pic the called the Precatalyst, And yes there is two of them. They are bolted directly to the back of the exhaust manifold. If you had them replaced, that could not of been cheap! The downpipes should be ok. You resenator just changes the tone of the exhaust, like a second muffler. I think Spenser Low racing makes a header, but Im not sure. Hope that helped. There are a lot of exhaust topics in here so, do some searching and go with what you like. :beer:

I can shed a little light on the subject. Probably more than you'll want to know. (For the past 16+ years, I've worked for two different OE exhaust manufacturers as an engineer and business manager.)

The small hole: Between Nissan, Honda and Toyota: Nissan is the only one smart enough to use this feature. If the muffler or resonator is mounted on a very slight angle, the hole will be in the lowest position. Why? This allows condensation to drain out of the exhaust. (Really blow out) Honda and Toyota don't do this because it can cause a slight sputter noise or be unsightful. It's function will increase the life of the exhaust by getting the acidic moisture build up out.

Useless trivia: You will only find this done on trucks built for use outside Japan. (Drain holes in exhaust are not permitted in Japan because of their style of parking garages uses lifts to stack cars over each other. Dripping acids are not a good thing. Hence the reason Toyota and Honda refuse to use them.) There is also concern about CO levels in parked vehicles. :rolleyes:

If you go off roading and plan to sit in water (Where water will get in the tailpipe) I would recommend you leave the hole in there.

Exhaust tuning: Usually when tuning exhaust, it is difficult to take out the major high frequencies and the low frequencies all in one container. Resonators, if filled with glass wool are for high frequencies. Resonators that are mainly empty with a branch tuner tube are for a very narrow specific low frequency. (Such as a booming noise at highway speeds) The resonator will not decrease or increase performance. If you feel the need to straight pipe it, go ahead so long as you don't mind a change in exhaust note. Personally, the OE exhaust is very restrictive. I could live with a little more sound. ;)