Raido install questions....again...

Guest jbpathy

Guest jbpathy

I am trying to replase my radio in my 94 pathy. I bought a plug adapter kit. The radio powers on. Turns off with the key etc...but the radio blinks off and on...What the heck. I have identified the ground, battery, ignition wires and manuall bypassed the plug but still the stupid radio blinks on and off..on and off. Almost like its not enough power? Or did i just screw it up?? I plugged the factory radio back in and it works???

Any ideas????

Guest jbpathy

Thanks for your input...I bypassed the plug completely to test the grounds etc. I found out there is a factory amp somewhere. Once I found the amp wire presto!!! the radio has enough power.

But this brings up a new question...where is the amp. I thought I read in forum awhile back the amp was under the passenger back seat...Didn't find it. Does anyone know where the factor amp is???

I just spent a whole lot of time with my own radio problems with a 93 XE. The amp behind the radio runs the rear speakers and the one behind the passenger side cargo panel runs the front speakers. Is it just me or is that just silly? I mean why wouldn't the factory try to run as short as possible wiring?

I changed both front and rear amps in mine trying to get my sound back just to find out the damn factory radio was NFG P... . I tell you, the sound system in this thing is just odd, From the impossible to find 5X7 speakers to the front/rear amplifier thing.

Would it have been too much to ask for a line level stereo and four speakers? :shrug:

Rant Over

I agree!!! Dont forget the silly antenna plug. I am not sure what year pathys have this or not but my 94 se has a speaker RCA speaker plug converter in the driverside rear quarter panel.

Rocker what type of speakers did you put in the rear? How did you install?

I put a new head unit in my 94'. and just rewired the whole dam truck, to get all 8 speakers working properly. The oem wires are very confusing, espec. dealing with the oem ams. I yanked out both amps (if I recall, both of mine were in the right rear panel)., pulled the headliner out and ran all the new wires in the ceiling. Much easier from my opinion.

jbpathy, I still have the factory speakers and stereo. First my front speakers stopped working, than they started working for a few days. All of a sudden the front and rear quit. I figured the amps crapped out so I went to a junkyard and bought the front and rear amps as well as the speakers and stereo. I changed the amps and still had nothing. So now I'm thinking well were the junkyard amps NFG or what?

I ended up swapping the stereo and now all is well, but I'll tell you this ONE more problem with this stereo and it all gets ripped out! Speakers,amps,stereo,and wiring. I can handle working on stuff but not the same thing over and over ya know?

If anyone needs the wiring colors for specific speakers I wrote down the wire colors to all the speakers except the passenger front which was smashed on the donor rig. I figured it was a good time to figure out the wiring while tearing the junk rig apart, just in case I need to bypass my wiring and dont want to have to tear all the panels off to see which wire goes to which speaker.

I can be reached at nhpstudios@pshift.com WAVEY