Window Channel Lubricant

KevinKernaghan

No brand recommendation, but you are after the right thing. Add sparingly and run the windows up and down (with the motor running) several times while you reapply. It's time for me to do the same...

B

I have soaked the window run rubbers with WD-40. I use the application tube to get into the track. Roll the window up and down a couple of times then leave up for a little while. Dirt gets into the track and will scratch against the window and create noise. It works. If its the window regulator making noise, the only lube thats worked for me is the nissan window regulator grease. I have no idea what kind of grease it is, but it works.

What I've used in the past is a spray on white Lithium grease. I used it to lubricate the tracks inside of the door, and it made the windows go up and down faster and quieter. It's also good for curing squeaky hinges in your doors.

To apply to the window tracks, you have to remove the door panel. Then cut or move the plastic sheeting that sits behind the panel so you can have access to the tracks. Spray on sparingly and cycle the window a couple of times. Repeat this a few times until there's an even coat of lubricant on the tracks.

Inside of the door panel, the white lithium grease will last about a year to 14 months, unless you have rust holes that allow the door to fill up with dirt, grime and moisture.

Edit: This actually reminds me that I'm going to have to do this on my Pathy soon. My passenger window is getting a little slow.

Edited by vengeful

I would advise against WD-40 as it is 95+% kerosene, and that will not be good for the rubber over the long term.

Instead, use a silicone based lubricant. Silicone based lubes are best for rubber as it does not attack or degrade rubber like petroleum based.

The best I have found is Sil-Glyde. It is a silicone based grease that comes in a tube. You can also use silicone sprays, but those will not last nearly as long.

which also reminds me that i should do that to my pathy. . . i've been having trouble w/ the front driver's side window, and i think that'd be better to try first than buying a new motor assembly. i've used spray-on white lithium in the past on other trucks, and it seems to work pretty well. i'd buy the silicone spray though.

• 2 weeks later...

I had this problem with my passenger side window, I used a silicon spray as well with the tube and sprayed it in the track like everyone else, rolled it up and down several times and repeat. This was a ritual for about two or three weeks like every weekend when I would clean out my truck, It works great now...

The silicon lubricant does not have petrolium in it like WD40 os it wont deterorate the rubber over time...

Good luck.

Edited by thndrwhls

What I've used in the past is a spray on white Lithium grease.  I used it to lubricate the tracks inside of the door, and it made the windows go up and down faster and quieter.  It's also good for curing squeaky hinges in your doors.

To apply to the window tracks, you have to remove the door panel.  Then cut or move the plastic sheeting that sits behind the panel so you can have access to the tracks.  Spray on sparingly and cycle the window a couple of times.  Repeat this a few times until there's an even coat of lubricant on the tracks.

Inside of the door panel, the white lithium grease will last about a year to 14 months, unless you have rust holes that allow the door to fill up with dirt, grime and moisture.

Edit:  This actually reminds me that I'm going to have to do this on my Pathy soon.  My passenger window is getting a little slow.

hey venge...what is this "white lithium grease" that you speak of? =P and also, where can i get it?

my front windows are getting slow and sound like they're struggling to go up...same with my cousin's new 98 pathy. i remember the plastic sheets that you are talking about from my speaker swaps. so i'm assuming that if i look through the openings in the door frame behind the paneling, i should be able to see the window tracks? where are the tracks inside the door located (in relation to the window...window edge?)? if so, could i just apply the grease to the window tracks that surround the window and hope that the grease is carried down as i roll the window down? yea i'm too lazy to take off some panels =P

edit: i saw the lithium grease on the kragen website.

Edited by QuismO

White Litho grease can be bought at any auto parts store. It will be in an aersol type can probably 12-14 oz. Most have a straw like the WD-40 product or you can just use the spray head for a wider pattern. It also works will on sliding glass door tracks. Not real offesnive as far as odor goes either. WAVEY