Stalling engine

flight4

74k miles, V6 engine, automatic. Had the truck for 3 years. Now suddenly having stalling problems. Fuel smell... engine runs rough, then stalls... 5-7 mins later will restart as if nothing happened.

During the last waiting period, I tried to start and found that the only way the engine would even think about firing was if the throttle was WIDE open.... Heavy fuel smell... Waited the extra 5 mins and it started up.

Followed the link to get the ECU codes... Worked well. I have an error 21, ignition... So will be looking at that early next week.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.....

Pity I cant get more HP out of the engine, no emission testing here and fuel is running at about 75cents a litre for premium! I just cant find people to do the work and get it right first time!

The Nissan dealer in Buenos Aires would like to charge me US$1,300 for the ignition coil and module... 50% up front and then a 60 day wait for them to arrive!

So I have sometime and a bit of a budget if I am going to purchase direct from the US, which is what I will do.

I had the Oxygen sensor changed only two years ago, can they go frequently? Same for the Mas air?

If I am going ahead and purchasing coil, module, O2 and Mass, can anyone advise brands? If I spend more, will I feel any difference in performance?

Thanks!

One more thing..... I have automatic transmission, which jolts when changing gear at low speed.... It used to jolt all the time until I had the transmission oil changed.... What might I have to do to smooth it out?

Thanks.

I will be able to get a coil and PT sent from either the US or I will pick one up in Beirut when I go back there. The other side of the coin of course that although somethings here in Arg are extremely expensive, everyday living isnt!

I will get the MAF cleaned and see what happens..... Being very careful with those wires, eh?

The O2 sensor.... If that had gone, it would be drinking fuel.... And I am still suspecting the coil. The touble seems to happen in very cold weather, which we have had recently, so maybe I will put the coil in the freezer for a couple of hours to see what happens!

Thanks.

• 4 months later...

Well guys I am back, and still with the same problem.

I have replaced both ignition coil and transistor units (arrived at about $400!)

Engine stalls and then restarts again 3 - 5 mins later. It can also run rough sometimes.

Finger pointing at heat/temp sensor, but then this is intermittent, and my mechanic cant catch it out even when trying all day.

Stuck injector????

Anyone any bright ideas?

Otherwise its 2 months off the road for a rebuild.

Oh and the MAF is very clean!!!

HELP!

I just read a post where the distributor was causing the same kind of problem. They're expensive, though. :(

I have two or three spare *used* distributors in my garage. If you can, try and find a shipping cost from Salem, Oregon USA, zip code 97301 to Buenos Aires, or wherever you'd like it sent. I can send you one for $20 plus the cost of shipping. If it doesn't fix your problem, at least it was cheap enough to have on hand for later, right?

Did you try cleaning the injectors? Sometimes it's a simple fix. I know mine used to love it when it got its injectors cleaned. It'd do crazy things like you're describing then stop after an injector cleaning. Otherwise 02, mass airflow, water temp sensor, throttle position, fuel filter, and everything else that's been mentioned. It's just a crap shoot at some point.