Ignition woes and a surprising fix

hookemdevils22

recently i've found that my gas mileage has gone to sh!t in my 94 pathy. i lost about 2 mpg on the last 2 tanks, and noticed that it began pinging around the same time. i've been driving more in-city miles, so i expected a slight drop in mpg. however, when plus gas didn't help the pinging issue one bit, i began to suspect something. i checked the timing - perfect. however, while doing so, i noticed what sounded like arcing at idle (like what a spark plug sounds like when you hold it up to the block, but a little louder). i checked connections (which were ok), and i checked the plugs to see if they had loosened (it could be described as a compression leak, such as when you have an exhuast leak), but they were tight. i isolated the problem to under the intake manifold (it wasn't the exhaust, i'm sure of that), but couldn't for the life of me figure out where it was coming from.

finally, i decided to check the ecu for any fault codes. after getting 55 (no problems), i noticed that the sound went away. so i took her for a quick spin, and noticed absolutely no pinging. whatever was happening, resetting the ecu was the fix. just an fyi to try for anyone having a similar problem.

I noticed after I did my t-belt job I replaced the plugs and had the same arcing noise. I would notice it when I first started it up. Most of the time I would rev the engine a little bit and it would go away. I looked for sparks in complete darkness to no evail. I have not noticed it in awhile to tell you the truth I kinda forgot about it. I drove it on a short road trip (250 miles) and it is driving really good so I do not think I am losing spark anywhere. I am going to be replacing the cap and wires soon too, maybe the rotor not too sure yet.