Shelly's dead again...

Cuong Nguyen

I was driving home from far far away and suddenly she dies on me. I tried starting her over but she wouldn't fire up. At that moment, I thought my timing belt went out on me. So I get a local wrecker from back home to get me home. Totally not easy on the wallet.

Anyhow, I finally got the chance to check her out. I pulled my dizzy cap off and noticed that my rotor screw came out??! WTF? I can't recall if it was still aligned when I pulled it off or not but I saw marks on the rotor where the screw had hit it.

Started to pull stuff apart to see if my timing belt was intact....and it was! With my god-forsakened luck all the timing marks are aligned TDC without me having to remove the timing belt and setting the cams and crank to TDC. Call me stupid if that's normal, but it's been awhile since I've last touched her.

Now, I'm thinking, I'm such a dumbass and should've checked my compression before pulling stuff off to check the timing belt.

So, the million dollar questions....

If the rotor to have moved incorrectly, could I have $#&%ed something up? I was going about 65 mph at the time.

Could a dead/weak battery cause her not to fire up? Same thing with a bad alternator?

Suggestions?? I gotta leave back to my duty station tomorrow at least and very very early sunday morning at the latest.

A dead or weak battery will make it not fire up.

I had a cheap rotor fly apart on me inside a cap on another vehicle, the computer on that vehicle shut it down and wouldn't even crank the car...something to do with no spark I guess. I replaced the cap and rotor and everything was fine. The screw might not have been tight, and eventually loosened during running of the engine. I would try the new ones, that might be all you need (make sure you get any pieces that might have broke off the rotor inside).

if your battery's weak/dead, it won't turn over period. weak batteries will get starter chatter (which is horrible for the starter, btw), while dead ones will get nothing. however, if it turns over but fails to start, the battery is ok. check fuel/ingnition/vacuum. all the alt. does is charge the battery and run the electrical components while the engine is running. it has nothing to do with no start conditions if it turns over.

from what it sounds like, your timing got out of whack when the rotor came loose, and it shut down. because your distributor didn't move in relation to the crank, all you need to do is replace the rotor/screw assembly (and cap if it's cracked). the timing should be fine.