My lift

tmorgan4

Just finished the front up tonight. I ran into a problem with the universal I got for the steering being seized so that's all that's left to do. Oh, and level out the rear. These are for sale soon, too. :P

537003551_Picture%20003.jpg

Edited by tmorgan4

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for all the questions. Yes, Prado Lifts is the name that all the lifts will be sold under, and is my company. I'll be starting up an LLC to protect me from a liability standpoint.

It does utilize OEM struts and springs (unless you want to go higher!) up front as it drops the whole subframe down about 4.5" (with stock springs). The CV angles are almost completely flat like they would be stock, so you don't have to worry about bad angles like with the new coils. I've got a set of Warns that are being shipped to me now, just putting them on for the manual hub feature. I don't have an exact estimate for price quite yet, but I'm hoping to go no more than $600. This doesn't include a few misc. things like longer shocks for the rear.

I plan on finishing the rear tomorrow as I got the steering done (and driveable!) today.

These pictures really don't do any justice to show how BIG it is. I'm sitting at 38" from the ground to the fender with almost bald (what used to be 31's) that measure about 29" on the vehicle.

537003552_Picture%20010.jpg

537003553_Picture%20013.jpg

Edited by tmorgan4

• 2 weeks later...

It definitely needs bigger tires Dean. When you look at it from the rear the 10.5" wide tires look small. :P

I was considering offering a smaller lift, and still may if there are a few people that want them. In the picture I'm using stock coils up front and in the rear, so this is about as small as you'll be able to go using the one I've got. The only problem I may run into with making a smaller one is redoing all of the angles and finding the right size material.

I guess the only angle that should be affected is the ones on the strut spacer. To be honest, I'm not sure how bad the camber would be if I used the same angles but made it an inch shorter. I might just have to make another test kit. :P

So can we see pics of the back Tyler? Or hell just bring it to my house so I can check it out!!! I live across the street from the stadium and the drive-in. So when do you plan on testing it out. I wanna see some articulation.

I'll have to bring it over as soon as I fix a few small issues. :P

I found out that you really don't want to use stock springs with this lift. I bottom out backing out of my driveway.

I played around in the dirt last night testing the flex out and it works pretty well. I still have stock shocks on (waiting for the others to come in!) and the shocks are at full extension at ride height. In fact, I had to have 4 friends sit in the back so I could even get the shocks on. :lol:

Once I add longer shocks, it will gain more droop, but at the sacrifice of up-travel. I'm not too worried about the few inches of lost uptravel since with larger tires, I'll have to limit it anyways to prevent ripping my fenders off. I'm considering just seeing if any of the local places have the shocks I need since they won't be here until Friday.

I also figured out that on the rear blocks, I need to use 5" tube instead of 6" pipe. I couldn't find anywhere locally that would sell me 5" tube (5" O.D.) to sit inside the spring, so I had to use a 6" pipe (6" I.D.) that the spring actually sits in. It works well aside from squeaking over ever little bump since it was too tight of a fit for the stock rubber piece on the end of the spring so I had to remove it.

Still waiting to hear back on a panhard rod bracket I sent a drawing out for, so hopefully I can get that soon. Suprisingly the axle only shifted a small amount, much less than I had expected.

I guess the only angle that should be affected is the ones on the strut spacer. To be honest, I'm not sure how bad the camber would be if I used the same angles but made it an inch shorter. I might just have to make another test kit. :P

You know what would be really cool is if you designed the strut spacers so they could adjust camber AND caster. My truck has pulled to the right for nearly the entire time I've owned it because of the right side being out of caster from the left side.

Check out this as an idea:

http://www.tech-session.com/kb/index.php?p...ex_v2&id=77&c=4

Now THAT would be marketable, not just for us crazy R50 4x4 enthusiasts!

Just curious:

The lift drops the front subframe, correct? Do you think that the strength of the subframe is compromised at all? i.e. is it easier for an obstacle to literally rip out the subframe?

Great job you've done here. Congrats on being an entrepreneur. If I had any extra $$$ you better beleive I'd be ordering one of your kits! :clap:

Thanks for all the comments.

Dean, that would be awesome. :D If only I had the capability of making something like that. I'll probably have to rely on camber kits, elongated holes, and washers to fine tune the camber. :P

And OR, as it sits right now, the subframe is pretty vulnerable for a few reasons. First off, since the bumper is higher, I tend to think I can go over things that I can't. Second, it still sits at stock height, there isn't a skid or anything protecting it. I'm hoping to get a skid in the works soon to prevent anything messing this piece up since it's NOT cheap.

Oh, and a few more pictures were posted in the picture section.

That's exactly what I'm trying to do. I talked to Marcel awhile back about the idea way before the lift was even started and he told me to get in contact with him when it's done. Now that it's done, he won't respond to any of my PMs or emails. Anyone know if he's on vacation?