'94 XE for $500 - worth it?

cruster

A buddy of mine has a '94 Pathy XE he's trying to unload for $500. It's gonna need a timing belt and camshaft seals, and of course it's got a few bolts broken off in the manifold (looks like 3). 163k.

The only rust I can see on it - see easily, at least, in 5 minutes on the floor of his garage - is a tiny bit of surface rust in the crease near the front of the rocker panel on the driver's side.

The body is fairly straight, save a slightly tweaked front bumper and a small dent in the left rear fender that I'm pretty sure can be easily pulled out.

Only other thing wrong that I know of is that the horn and the cruise aren't working, but near as I can tell from talking to him there's a problem in the connections in the steering wheel.

Seems like it's pretty standard stuff for a Pathy of this vintage. Is there anything here I should be particularly worried about? Hoping for something that I can use to do a little commuting, take out on some logging roads, and set up to haul a utility trailer so I can lug brush out of my yard. I know it's not gonna be a speed demon and that's OK.

Gonna be worth the $500? My biggest concern is rust since it sounds like that's a chronic problem...although this vehicle has lived in Washington all its life, and rust is not usually a big issue up here. I know she's gonna need a tune-up.

Thanks in advance for any advice...

- Brendan in Tacoma, WA

Take a hammer to the frame, particularly above the rear axle to check for the dreaded frame rust. Even if it is starting rust, you can box it in as long as there is good metal to weld to.

Is it auto or manual? (just curious)

Without seeing it, I'd say it is worth the $500 in parts alone.

Ooh yeah - forgot to mention that, it does have the dreaded autotragic transmission. My buddy said he's never had any problems with it (I do trust him on that point).

Sounds like I have a date with a hammer and a flashlight.

Thanks for the tip on the cooler - anyone have a source on them? I did a search of the forums but didn't see any clear information on a vendor or a brand.

Also - do '94s have airbags?

Thanks again!

Edited by cruster

1/2 the people junk yard scavenge (ford explorer is popular) and the others buy new. Apparently there are only a few sources, but are all generically the same other than plate and fin style. I believe plate is preferred but more expensive. Biggest points are what you can fit in (usually between the radiator and condensor) and bypassing the stock unit. Spend a few minutes with a ruler first.

This information had been supplied by an overworked, distracted, tired, non-automatic transmission owner...

B

Do I have to pull the camshaft out to replace the camshaft seals? They are leaking...service manual says the camshaft comes out but that seems excessive - anyone done this job?

Edited by cruster

Heck I'd pay for it sight unseen just for a parts truck...more if it runs! I have a 94 se...over 250.000 miles on it...auto trans. Gave it regular service, oil. tranny fluid, gear oil, etc etc etc....really haven't had any problems with it other than the manifold studs and the ghost door locks (which I've narrowed down to the alarm system) I plan on getting another 200 thousand out of mine. I might have to do a lil engine work, but I'll wait 'til something goes wrong with it first!

when you buy parts...alternators, brake pads, anything get a lifetime warranty when it's available...well worth it when you've owned a vehicle as long as I have mine.

and the most important part of being a pathy owner...GET IT MUDDY! :P

Edited by DustyDevil