Front differential

Datsunman

I've read that the front diff in the WD21 is an R200. I know there's more than one type of R200 so my question is, does anyone know the specs of the WD21 diff? As far as I know, early R200's have 10mm ring gear bolts and 29 splines on the stub axles and late ones have 12mm ring gear bolts and 30 spline axles. Also, I think the snap rings on the stub axles are located in a slightly different place. Anyone had one apart?

The reason for the enquiry is I have a nice Nismo two way adjustable LSD for an R200 and I'm wondering if it'll go in my Terrano P... The diff was originally in my Nissan 200SX (S13) which was a 1990 model same as my Terrano.

-Ed

Dunno for sure, but everyone that's looking for an LSD for their R200A front is looking for the one from a 87-89 300ZX turbo. I haven't heared of anyone searching for the Silvia rears. You might check on nissan4wheelers.com for a difinitive answer.

I think the late 300ZX turbo might be the only model that came with a plate type LSD from the factory which might be why that's the sought after one. I'm not sure wether the 300ZX diff has the 12mm ring gear bolts or not. I'll do some more digging and get over to nissan4wheelers.

-Ed

Quite honestly I wouldn't bother with an LSD in the front. By the time you need the added traction you're probably way over the breaking torque of the LSD. The pre '96 H233B 260 ft/lbs is pretty good in most situations but as soon as you lifted a tire it became useless. I am gonna take a wild guess and say that the R200s offer AT MOST what that '96 and up rear diffs had, which is 130 ft/lbs and that's almost an open diff in reality.... what I am getting at is that in sports car terms it may be all cool for all the driftuu **** that don't want to peel out constantly with one tire only in their Silvias, but off road it's useless and not worth the effort and money. You want performance? Weld up the rear and put an ARB in the front. End of story.

Edited by Filthy Luker

I don't think the R200A in the S13's fits. Something to do with axle flanges and the way it's set up. Is it a clutch-type LSD or a VLSD?

It's an aftermarket Nismo GT-pro clutch type 2-way diff. It has adjustable breakaway (3 settings) but I'll have to find the paperwork that came with it to find out what the actual settings are. It used normal shafts, not the VLSD type ones.

I need to rebuild my rear diff before I get involved in upgrading the front but I'm just trying to figure wether this Nismo diff is worth holding on to.

• 2 years later...
You want performance? Weld up the rear and put an ARB in the front. End of story.

Where do you get an ARB air locker for the front of a WD21 . Mines a 6 bolt flange and here in OZ can't help me ( or don't want to ) .

I've read that the front diff in the WD21 is an R200. I know there's more than one type of R200 so my question is, does anyone know the specs of the WD21 diff? As far as I know, early R200's have 10mm ring gear bolts and 29 splines on the stub axles and late ones have 12mm ring gear bolts and 30 spline axles. Also, I think the snap rings on the stub axles are located in a slightly different place. Anyone had one apart?

The reason for the enquiry is I have a nice Nismo two way adjustable LSD for an R200 and I'm wondering if it'll go in my Terrano P... The diff was originally in my Nissan 200SX (S13) which was a 1990 model same as my Terrano.

-Ed

don't try it i broke my diff housing on my r200 trying this