Low cost sound deadener sheets

mws

So as I am shopping for shingles to re-roof the house, I see rolls of "mid ply" self adhesive roofing material. This stuff comes in a roll about 4 feet wide, 30 or 50 feet long, and looks EXACTLY like generic "Dynamat" material. And cost less $.50 per square foot if you want to compare to name brand... It is sold by roofing supply wholesalers to roofer and is used as a lower cost roofing material. This "mid ply" is laid first, and then another layer of rolled stuff is applied over the top of it. The mid ply is what we want.

It cuts easily, and has a super aggressive adhesive on one side. Cut, peel, stick, heat, form, roll just like Dynamat.

I added about 10 pounds worth to most of the inside vertical metal surfaces of the Pathy (doors, rear fenders, etc). Well worth the effort as it cuts road noise down about 1/2. And the doors close with a thud instead of a clang. The next time I have carpet out, I will add more to the floor and firewall. I used maybe 1/6 of the roll doing the inner walls, so one roll should do at least 2 cars.

with one of the down sides being it smells like tar in the summer.

Sounds like a great idea. on the side of caution I wanna hear someone (preferably a NPORA dude) say they've done it and went the whole summer with no tar smell.

MWS are you gonna be the lab rat?

Actually there was a thread over on AC about similar stuff about 1.5-2 years ago.

About the only real difference in the end is the lack of a paper face on it that has a name brand. :rolleyes: If a name matters to you.

I'm definitely up to my little guinea pig ears...

The stuff I bought is "Certainteed Flintlastic SA Self Adhering SBS Modified Bitumen Mid Ply." The roll cover about one square - and weighs 68 lbs.

Odor: I detected a couple mild whiffs of a mild tar like odor when I peeled the backer off after letting it lay in the sun to get hot. Have NOT smelled anything inside the car yet, but it has only been in the mid to upper 90's.

Nowhere near as bad as a generic Dynamat stuff I bought about 10 years ago. It gave off a mild tar smell for about a year before it became odor free.

The key to good application is to get the sheet metal very clean and then get the matting and the sheet metal very, very warm before you apply and then roll it firmly. Peel and stick it cold and just rub with your bare hand will NOT work on vertical services - it will fall off within a few hours.

I clean with lacquer thinner, and then roll it with a 1" wooden roller with a handle. I think the roller was made for sealing edges on wallpaper? Get it well adhered with no bubbles and it will stay in place forever.

Damn good idea mws, how much to do mine... :D

B

bring up some uhmwpe and we can make a weekend of it... You be forming skidplates, I be gutting and damping. Might have to tip a barley pop or two while we're at it... :D

Odor: I detected a couple mild whiffs of a mild tar like odor when I peeled the backer off after letting it lay in the sun to get hot. Have NOT smelled anything inside the car yet, but it has only been in the mid to upper 90's.

Nowhere near as bad as a generic Dynamat stuff I bought about 10 years ago. It gave off a mild tar smell for about a year before it became odor free.

Forgive me for being anal about the smell. Did a remod on the bathroom couple of years ago. I put roofing tar paper on the floor then luon (sp?) on top of that for the tile surface. granted floor of the house will probably never see 80deg f. no smell and never even thought twice about it.

Edited by dagwoodzz

I put roofing tar paper on the floor

Tar paper (aka roofing felt) is a different animal all together. This stuff was originally sold as a freeze barrier to be run at the edge of the roof under tar paper. Tar paper doesn't adhear to the surface so moisture could backup/ build up under it. This stuff was made to stop that since it made complete contact and bonded with the roof sheathing. It is a rubber based material.

• 6 months later...
i've always wondered is the spray on expanding insulating/foam stuff they sell at home depot would work.

Work for? If you planned to use it like a dynomat type thing, no. If you plan to fill open areas with foam, yes.