Oil filter relocation

ankana

I purchased an oil filter relocation kit a few months back and have yet to install it. There are two reasons for my hesitation. The kit came with cheesy hose that kinks easily and fittings that press fit with no clamps. Although I could partially relieve my anxiety with some hose clamps, the kinky part still bugs.

From what I have read, most mount their filter inside the wheel well. My guess is that this was dictated by the length of hose that shipped with the kit. It seems to be a fine place for access , but a bad place for potential damage to the filter/ hoses.

I think I'd like to get some longer braided steel hose to replace the ones that came with it. That way I can be sure of the integrity of the hose and can mount it wherever I want to. It should look cool as well...Bonus!

For those of you who have installed one of these, where did you put the filter, and what are your thoughts on the result?

I mounted mine, like many others, up above the passenger fender well, behind the battery and power steering reservoir.

I welded up custom brackets so they mount vertically so filter changes can be drip free. I took pictures of the '87 but don't have them downloaded yet.

The '88 is a work in progress, as the bracket has become a bit more elaborate - to hold all the added electrics (about a dozen relays, fuses and dist posts for the winch, etc).

Remember that the oil will be under pressure in both legs of the hose, so if it is not kinked to begin with, it will be fine. The oil will be trying to keep it unkinked.

I believe I have found the ultimate oil filter relocation spot. As soon as I finish cutting a new keyway in my crankshaft I will share the details. You guys are gonna lik this!

im kinda confused on this whole relocation thingy...what is the purpose if it....wheelman had it on his engine that i just installed in my 87...i popped it off (after i installed it in the truck b/c i couldnt get the partial lines off where i had cut the original lines to get it off)... and i put the stock filter on and i thought it was easier to install than it normally is with manifolds...

the only concern i have here is this heat related? which i dont think is the case

and i dont think there is any difference in the 87 and 95 frame rails except they moved the brake lines on the 95 to the top or bottom of the rail where the 87 runs down the side...

anyways i pulled it off and will prob leave it off b/c i didnt like the vulnerability of the the filter when its relocated...

The main purpose of the relocation for me was that mud was caked all over the lower block and I was afraid of getting crap in the engine while changing filters. Then with my dual relocation (link above B) ) I got over 1/3rd more oil capacity in the system which means more cooling and more engine protection. I read somewhere that oil is responsible for 20% of cooling duties in the engine so that made me happy. The 1.6L Honda Civic i was beating on before had over 4L of oil capacity and this hard working off roading beast had just over 3L! Something wasn't right. I am currently running Ford Motorsport filters now instead of the Fram crap and I hooked up the oil pressure gauge on the return channel (actually worst reading position there is). On hot oil and dirty filters I get 10 psi on idle and 80 psi at full throttle. My VG30 is gonna be running for ages.

There are two reasons for me to relocate the oil filter. First and foremost, it's a pain in the ass to remove without getting oil all over my starter motor. Secondly, -which now I realize is kinda the same as the first, so maybe I only have one reason- I plan to replace my stock exhaust manifold with headers and I would imagine there will be even less room to extricate an old filter brimming with oil with that set-up. I don't know if heat is a consideration unless you plan on running the hoses thru your headers, which I would strongly advise against. So the answer is, to prevent dirty oil from getting on your nice clean starter.

• Like 1

Are you giving me a hard time for all the pictures

Might be speaking for myself, but I don't think I am. Pictures motivate sissys like me to try new things. No sarcasm. :D

What is the model number of your relocation kit? I tried once but the guy at the parts store told me they don't make them for pathfinders. I know that's BS, but how can you argue if you don't know the part number.

I posted this in another thread somewhere, but I'll repost it since this thread got big. Kreg Donahoe (Donahoe Racing) put mine in my fenderwell. I was skeptical about vunerability, but he promised me that's where lots of race vehicles' oil filters are located. It's been well over 5 years, and still no problems.

This picture is small, but it's showing the filter (standard size VG30E filter) which is located in the front of the passenger front wheelwell.

No oil on the starter (and those gear-reduction starters are *expensive*).

Path_Oil_Filter.jpg

Oil%20Filter.jpg

Since I had the front end of my Pathfinder all tore apart for a repair I thought this might be a good time to find a location for my remote oil filter. Fashioned a bracket out of some angle I had kicking around and here is the result. Inside the engine compartment, and protected by the skid plate.

Like very much. Will the skid have to be removed to change, or do you have access from the top?

Changed my filter yesterday without removing the skid. Tried to put a rag over the starter, but not a good job to do from the top. noticed the rag was dry, but oil was falling to the pan. needless to say the starter was probably doused. ;)

I think I can get to it from above, but it's a long reach. It's not difficult to remove the skid plate, and that's most likely what I'll do anyway just to make sure I don't spill oil anywhere.

Edited by ankana

:shrug: Nope, cleared the power steering and belt, and it looked like the best place untill I replaced the metal radiator hose tuby thing. oops! Damn and I thought I was finally getting clever. :furious:

Dont' feel bad, remember of how many shots M. Jordan missed at the buzzer.

Do you have the means to fabricate mounting bracket? What about same location with filter in the horizontal? pardon my artistic skills. Even I laughed! Trying to attach an image....

post-6-1156435244.jpg

Yes, I have all kinds of means to fabricate stuff. I just get ahead of myself sometimes. As I always say " that's why they call it development", and as a wise engineer that I once worked with would say "screw something up and hopefully you have learned something" What I learned is that it is not wise to claim to have found the ultimate anything. there is no room right there to place the oil filter. I ended up mounting it to the engine side of the skid plate. Which has it's drawbacks, but untill I get a better idea... :shrug: