Are the New Pathfinders better

Guest chechatonga

Check out this thread, some discussion about the 96-04 Pathy vs Xterra, along with the current Pathy, might help.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=10427

And here is a review of the 05 Pathy that might help to explain what it is:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/hl/05pathfinder.htm

The final quote from that article tells a lot:

"The Pathfinder has certainly gone upmarket in everything from size and amenities to price, and it's well suited to its new role. If you're lamenting the loss of the original Pathfinder, don't. It's still around, only now it's called Xterra."

If you're looking for an SUV to haul the kids to soccer practice, pick up groceries and head to the Golf Course, then yes, it's better. If you're looking for something to actually use, and take off-road, then no, it's junk. The Independent rear suspension allows virtually NO articulation, and the most it can really do is fire roads.

MZ said it best. Better for what ? No vehicle is good at all things, one must consider the usage... :shrug:

For traditional Pathfinder roles, I prefer the WD21 4 door... Should the new pathfinder be called the mallfinder ? :shrug:

B

Plain and simple SEMA pig. A bunch of people threw parts at it to show off at aftermarket shows.

BTW, something to concider with IRS is the CV angles, just like IFS. Yeah you can lift the end at the wheel, but not much before you need a diff drop kit. -thnkboutit-

Guest chechatonga

IRS is the future.

All the 4X4 ATVs have them, as do most of new production vehicles.

You can learn how to make them work ------------ or drive antiques if you care to ?

IRS is the future.

All the 4X4 ATVs have them, as do most of new production vehicles.

You can learn how to make them work ------------ or drive antiques if you care to ?

Hehe... sure thing there.

It's one thing on an ATV where it's light and you can make it happen with 9-10" of wheel travel without breaking stuff.

As to antiques? Heck... the most capable thing I've seen is a 1970s Mog... and after that a late 80s Sammi equipped with 70s Ford axles.

Lets put it this way, a couple competition rock crawlers tried a fully IFS/IRS set up in IIRC the '02 season and got stomped.

Only thing the IRS is good for is soccer moms' a$$.

If you're looking for an SUV to haul the kids to soccer practice, pick up groceries and head to the Golf Course, then yes, it's better.  If you're looking for something to actually use, and take off-road, then no, it's junk.  The Independent rear suspension allows virtually NO articulation, and the most it can really do is fire roads.

Agreed! Would I be pissed if I traded in my WD21 for my 05? Yup. Hell I bought the thing on a whim and didn't even know it was IRS til I got it home and took a peek underneath :hide:

The thing totally sux on the trail, but is great for hauling the kids around.

Guest chechatonga
Lets put it this way, a couple competition rock crawlers tried a fully IFS/IRS set up in IIRC the '02 season and got stomped. 

Only thing the IRS is good for is soccer moms' a$$.

I guess the military missed that when they went to the Hummer vehicle for rough terrain ................... ?

A IRS does just fine on moderate rough trails

Rock crawlers almost never look like they would be road legal anyway ---------- LOL

for rock crawling you can fab up something ... with a solid axle.

Edited by chechatonga

ouch man, that sucks for you, good luck with the HUGE IRS piece of junk...

Perhaps you missed something...while it is a far better daily driver than your WD21, it simply is not as capable on the trails. BUT, it has probably already seen tougher trails than your "rig" (which by the way, looks like it's been slammed...they're called T Bars, try adjusting them) ever will.

Having said that, the problem seems to be more the goofy traction control system...I can plant my foot on a good climb, but no spinny spinny and no momentum.

Edited by SkinnyPedal

Ok, play nice or don't play at all... P...

Agreed, traction control may be nice when going through the mountains in the winter or hitting ice, etc, it definitely hinders aggressiveness.

B

Perhaps you missed something...while it is a far better daily driver than your WD21, it simply is not as capable on the trails.  BUT, it has probably already seen tougher trails than your "rig" (which by the way, looks like it's been slammed...they're called T Bars, try adjusting them) ever will.

Having said that, the problem seems to be more the goofy traction control system...I can plant my foot on a good climb, but no spinny spinny and no momentum.

:clap:

Well said.

The sad fact is that Nissan at this point is milking off the reputation of WD21s to sell more grocery getters.

My truck is 14 years old and it's probably somewhere in the median of how old a properly wheeled Pathy is on this board. I can guarantee that in 14 years a 2005 Pathy won't be able to tackle half the crap that my daily driver sees off road.

Perhaps you missed something...while it is a far better daily driver than your WD21, it simply is not as capable on the trails. BUT, it has probably already seen tougher trails than your "rig" (which by the way, looks like it's been slammed...they're called T Bars, try adjusting them) ever will.

ok, i have adjusted them, umm i have a 3 inch suspension...and currently have everything dissasembled ready for my SAS....

and how can you say it looks like its been slammed????

and personally i dont think a new (nearly) $30,000 vehicle is worth being just a daily driver. a huge ass car that blows in 4wd, strictly on road 4wd, isnt worth it....go buy an older MPV 4wd van.

and even if you think my WD isnt a good daily drive, well then i agree with you, gas prices as they are, forced me to buy a honda. and even tho its old, its as nice a ride (inside) as any other vehicle on the road (IMO).

i dont care what you say, the new SUVs and many of the trucks today make me wanna stick with early to mid 90s, or even older if i want a worthy trail rig.....

-sam