Aftermarket Wheel Offset Issues

AssBeard

What issues will I run into from putting GMC Denali rims on my Pathy?

The rims are 17x7 and have the same bolt pattern, but the offest is +18mm (versus +40mm for my R50).

I'm assuming, of course, that I won't have any other fitment issues, like the wheel not fitting over the hub or something. EDIT: The seller says the the centers have been bored out to fit a Nissan Hardbody.

I searched and searched and only came up with people pointing out that one must be mindful of the offset/backspacing, but not actually mentioning if wheels with different offsets would work or the issues involved with changing it up.

Also, do you think I'll need hubcentric adapters? The fact that the centers are bored out is worrisome to me.

No, I do not take it offroad. The wheels are purely for show. Mmmmm...chrome!

Edited by AssBeard

mm.. unless these are a real bargain..... i would be hesitant to put anything that has had the center altered on my truck.. but then again.. i wheel my pathy ... i have chevy rims on my pathy..... you can see where mine stick out to -bounce- (just look at my sig)

Thanks for the prompt responses.

Yeah, the guy wants $300 bucks for all four wheels......they're in decent shape. Like I said earlier, I'm worried about the quality of them since the centers have been bored out though.

Thanks for the prompt responses.

Yeah, the guy wants $300 bucks for all four wheels......they're in decent shape. Like I said earlier, I'm worried about the quality of them since the centers have been bored out though.

sh!t. you can go buy a nice set of rims for $300 BRAND NEW :blink:

sh!t. you can go buy a nice set of rims for $300 BRAND NEW  :blink:

Where are you guys getting your rims from?!?!?!?!

I'm talking flashy, bling-bling, aesthetically-pleasing rims.....a la Discount Tire Direct, Tire Rack, or 1010 Tires.

Edited by AssBeard

You need an enema FL. :crazy:

They have been called 'rims' as long as I can remember in Cali so I'm sure that applies somewhat in other places also. ie. "I'm buying Johns rims"...

Where are you guys getting your rims from?!?!?!?!

Some of the same place you mentioned. They are talking about functional rims though as opposed to bling, although they look better in my book. MMM, black steel rock crawlers, now thats sexy !!

You have to understand, a poser pays $250 a rim. A wheeler pays $70 a rim and $180 for the tire... :P

B

You need an enema FL.  :crazy:

They have been called 'rims' as long as I can remember in Cali so I'm sure that applies somewhat in other places also. ie. "I'm buying Johns rims"...

Just because an obscene bunch of ricers and stoners call them that does't make it correct.

So what do you call the outside edge of a wheel then? Or the rim of a coffe cup?

Edited by Filthy Luker

Some of the same place you mentioned. They are talking about functional rims though as opposed to bling, although they look better in my book. MMM, black steel rock crawlers, now thats sexy !!

You have to understand, a poser pays $250 a rim. A wheeler pays $70 a rim and $180 for the tire...  :P

Well.....I don't consider myself a wheeler or a poser.

Like I said before...I don't offroad. I've just never had an interest in it. I'd rather spend the money to make my cars (trucks/SUVs) look nice.

So, I guess these Denali rims are about as cheap as bling is likely to come.

Edited by AssBeard

Just because an obscene bunch of ricers and stoners call them that does't make it correct.

Um, so which category do you imply describes me ? Sorry if the US slang didn't cross the border, but constructive posts (as you are capable of) are desired, not eronious corrections or slander.

B

Well.....I don't consider myself a wheeler or a poser.

Like I said before...I don't offroad. I've just never had an interest in it. I'd rather spend the money to make my cars (trucks/SUVs) look nice.

So, I guess these Denali rims are about as cheap as bling is likely to come.

Well, I dont know if they are going to fit or what, but most of us are used to wheels that we can beat up and bend and then use for garage furniture. And we dont really care what our trucks look like, we consider every dent and scratch to be a story and a trophy. What color is your pathy beacause im trying to picture what Denali wheels look like on a path, or what Denali wheels even look like.

Edited by FLApathy

Sorry AB,

You have to understand, a poser pays $250 a rim. A wheeler pays $70 a rim and $180 for the tire...

Thats was meant as tongue in cheek, and you are not paying $250 a rim, more like $75... ;) It's just that most people here are interested in offroad performance, then looks in the same genre.

You need to inspect the bored out rims to see if it has impinged on any structural elements and that it was cleanly done before you decide. Thats what Slick was getting at. Some Chevy rims can be bored out slightly to clear the nissan hubs without compromising their integrity...

B

Um, so which category do you imply describes me ? Sorry if the US slang didn't cross the border, but constructive posts (as you are capable of) are desired, not eronious corrections or slander.

B

US slang crosses the border just fine, I have always called them rims out here in Lotus Land. FL is just jealous he did not think of these rims first. :D

Good luck AB, as noted just check the rims (wheels for our Eastern Canada types who think the Maple Leafs are a real hockey team (ducks from Pezzy attack :hide: )) out to make sure they will hold up. And if you get them, please post some pictures.

you can find a perfectly nice set of rims for $100-$150 each... what is so special about denali rims? all the denalis i've seen have ugly, stock, boring rims on them....

What a "nice" rim, wheel, thing the tires mount to.. whatever, is a matter of perspective... to each his own.

AB, if those are what you want, they are in good working order, will fit your rig properly and the price is fair/right in your book... then go for it :aok:

I would ask Discount or another tire and RIM! place to check the balance of them before you buy......Not too many repuatable(sp?) shops will bore out a RIM!...that's something only a machine shop would do to a RIM! So in conclusion...check the RIMS! out really good, and maybe even check out RIM! manufacturers to see if you can find a set of RIMS! that look similar, but were made for your truck.

RIMS...RIMS...RIMS...RIMS.....Wheel is what caveman invented, RIMS are what go on your car!

What looks really nice is a set of Xterra/Frontier 17" supercharged wheels. You can run a 265/70/17 without rubbing which equates to approx. a 32" tire. They look great and they would allow you to go custom, yet stay factory.

Now if you wanted to upset some of the "rednecks" on this site, you should go with a 20" wheel. I have seen a 2nd generation Pathfinder with them, and it looks EXCELLENT!

I have a set of 20" wheels on my wifes '02 Supercharged Xterra, which doesn't go offroad, its strickly for show, and go!

Go BIG or don't go at all. :D

It's just that most people here are interested in offroad performance, then looks in the same genre.

Well this is, "Nissan Pathfinder Off-Road Association" :laugh:

No harm in looking nice, but if you plan to run some low pro tires I will have to laugh.

You don't buy a Corvette and put a 2.0L 4cyl engine in it, just like you don't buy a 4wd and put street tires on it. -thnkboutit-

Now if you wanted to upset some of the "rednecks" on this site

Hehe...

Its your Rig, do what you want with it and if someone on here does not like it, Tough $hit!!!! Remember it their opinion, but it your RIG...

Local Heeper called me last night wanting to Sell me a set of barely used 33x12.5R15's so I did not have skinny tires on my 91.... I went everywhere you went plus a couple of places you did not go... 12.5's would rub the living $hit out of my wheel wells and blow my steering on the 1st trail....

Yeah, I decided not to go with the custom bored Denali rims. They look nice, but the custom bore job makes me uneasy.

Haha..I have long thought that I would be one of the only dudes on this board that is more interested in looks since it is, in fact, the OFF ROAD Association for Pathys.

Dubs do look nice....however, I am with the guys that don't like the low-pro look on SUVs...especially a Pathy. The "dubs on blades" look is more suited to Escalades, Suburbans, Yukons, etc.

Believe me, I don't like ricey or ugly or ridiculous looking @!*%. I still think that polished 17's would look hella clean on my white R50. Guess I will keep looking....

I should post up some pics so you guys can see my "rig".