Mudflaps and Fender Flares

93PathfinderWA

A max of 1.5 or 2in past the flare iirc

Mud flaps are required and must extend down to at least the middle of the axle. My pathy has none (ripped one off and removed the other) and I have not been bothered. My Yota never had them but every now and then Thurston County cops will crack down on 4x4's (more so lifted ones)... after a friend was pulled over and given a warning I decided I better get some (this was 8-10yrs ago)

You should be able to call the State Patrol to find out for sure… they have always been willing to answer my questions :aok:

Hey does anyone know the laws on mudflaps and fender flares in Washington, or where to find them because i like the look of no fender flares and was considering taking them off.

From Washington State Patrol website: http://www.wa.gov/wsp/traveler/cvd/pasequip.htm

"Required Equipment

Fenders - Shall cover the entire tread width, at least 15 degrees to the front, and 75 degrees to the rear. Shall extend down to at least the center of the axle. RCW 46.37.500 & WAC 204-90-040"

1.5" or 2" past the flare is a violation....only zero inches will keep you out of trouble (for your fenders and mudflaps, at least :-) for sure.

If you take off your fender flares, and you're running no larger than 31x10.50s on 7" rims, your rears will be legal (if you have mudflaps) but your fronts will be illegal. I have Nismo fiberglass flared front fenders (discontinued as far as I know) to keep my fronts legal without flares.

Edited by Eli

OK well either they changed it ot the cop lied to me... eitherway, we have an answer now :lol:

OH MY GOD!!!!!

A COP LIED!!!!! -alcohol-

HOLY SMOKEY & THE BEAR!!!!! :hide:

A COP LIED!!!!! I WOULDN'T BELIEVE IT!!!!!! :eek:

A COP LIED!!!!! I THOUGHT THEY ONLY LIED UNDER OATH!!!!!!!!!:clap:

Edited by Eli

Not sure about the ticket amount...

My yota's tires have extended past the fenders for over 9yrs now and the Pathy has been without mud flaps for 2 or 3yrs... I have never been hassled about either one :aok:

Hah.

In Oregon you only have to have mudflaps if the bumper is higher than 27" from the ground. I think.

From http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/docs/vcb/VCB815.pdf on the website of the Oregon State Police:

c) Type III fenders or mudguards must extend in full width from a point on the wheels that is above and forward of the center of the tire over a point at the rear of the wheel that is not more than 27 inches above the surface of the highway.

Type III fenders or mudguards must be on every vehicle axle on vehicles with a GVRW under 8,000 lbs.

///////////////////////////////////////////////

Oregon's fender & mudflap laws are much more leniant than Washington's.

Here's the rest of the PW Northwest:

///////////////////////////////////////////////////

IDAHO:

From http://www3.state.id.us/cgi-bin/newidst?sctid=490090049.K

Behind all wheels of every motor vehicle other than trucks, buses,

semitrailers, or trailers, the fenders or covers shall extend in full

width from a point above and forward of the center of the tire over and to

the rear of the wheel to a point that is not more than twenty (20) inches

above the surface of the highway, unless the bumper is a factory built

bumper fastened directly to the frame of the vehicle pursuant to factory

installation requirements;

MONTANA:

From http://data.opi.mt.gov/bills/mca/61/9/61-9-407.htm

a) If the vehicle is equipped with fenders, the fenders must extend in full width from a point above and forward of the center of the tire or tires over and to the rear of the tires.

B) If the vehicle is equipped with splash aprons or flaps, the splash aprons or flaps must extend downward in full width from a point not lower than halfway between the center of the tire or tires and the top of the tire or tires and to the rear of the tires.

c) If the vehicle is in excess of 8,000 pounds ...blah blah blah

d) If the vehicle is 8,000 pounds or less gross vehicle weight or rating, the fenders, splash aprons, or flaps must extend downward to a point that is not more than 20 inches above the surface of the highway when the vehicle is empty.

BRITISH COLUMBIA:

From http://www.qp.gov.bc.ca/statreg/reg/M/Moto...58/26_58_04.htm

7.06 Every motor vehicle, trailer and semitrailer not constructed so that the spray and splash of water and mud to the rear of the vehicle is minimized shall be equipped with mudguards and, if necessary, mudflaps.

Edited by Eli

I have had a pierce county cop behind me, and on the side of me at the same time and they didn't do anything. I have no mud flaps, my tires stick out like 4" past the body..

i think it depends on if the cop god some morning nookie