sun roof

parthy

:wacko: I must be dumb butt it wasnt till just the other day when i was reading in 4WD Monthly ( an aussie 4x4 mag ) buying a used pathy artical that i found out that when you flip down the sun glasses holder in the roof and undo the screw in the centre :secret: that there is a manual winder under there for the sun roof and there is a tool in the tool kit to do it :gossip: am i the only dumb one around :hide:

And here I was thinking that I'd have to use saran wrap in case of a malfunction :idea:

Well...it only helps if you actually remember to close the sunroof. My mom left hers open, killed the stereo, AC controls, heated seats and transmission control module. Stupid Mazdas.... :lol:

Speaking of a sunroof, I have no idea why Nissan didn't decde to put some sort of window tinting on the Pathy sunroofs. When it's insanely hot I keep the shade closed because my head burns.

Politics, I think P...

That exists on all vehicles with power sunroofs.  There has to be a failsafe type mechanism in case something happens that prevents the sunroof from being closed by the switch.

Actually apparently the newer GM's - where the glass actually flips out overtop of the roof, don't have them. My brothers alternator and battery just went in his grand prix and when he called the dealership to see if he could get the roof closed, they said there is no way.

Stupid design if you ask me - I guess he should have got a Nissan, since our Pathfinder and our Infiniti car both had hand cranks.

Edited by Barnzilla

I thought something needed to be flammable or explosive to explode.

Are you sure it wasnt crack?

And what about the millions of sunroofs that are tinted from the factory?

Huh. huh huh.....

*poke*

Bad idea. The tint shop said they don't tint moonroofs because they will literally explode in the heat. I wanted mine tinted too but no dice.

Hmmm...

Musta lined the roof w/ plast-eek explosive shyet as a theft deterrent :wacko:

Well a year now and it hasn’t exploded :oops: . The guy that tinted my windows was kind of weary to tint the sun roof b/c he thought it might be tempered glass like your windshield, but we found out it wasn’t so he said it would be fine.

Edited by Trialsin26

Heat can shatter glass, but takes a lot of it. Last week I had a candle fall over in it's holder and didn't bother to fix it. 2 minutes later, the thing shattered and glass was everywhere.

Exactly. This was in S. GA, read *EXTREME HEAT*.

Do at your own risk but it was enough to keep me away.

Exactly.  This was in S. GA, read *EXTREME HEAT*. 

Do at your own risk but it was enough to keep me away.

*cough* BS *cough*

The hottest temperature ever recorded by the National Weather Service in the State of Georgia was 107*F. That doesn't qualify as ***EXXXTREME HEAT!!!***. Quality Auto Glass, even tinted, should be able to withstand 107*F. My tinted windows haven't mysterious exploded even when it was 122*F outside...HMMMMMMMMMM

Obviously, that failure was caused by a defect in the glass. Odds are, there was a tiny air bubble in the glass which expanded in the heat and caused the glass to break. When dealing with cheap glass such as a drinking glass or candle holder, air bubbles are extremely common.

How hot does a car interior get when sitting out in the sun? A hell of a lot hotter than the ambient temperature.

Tinted moonroof is different than tinted windows, I have 15% tint on my windows.

Think about it: I was going to pay the tint shop to tint my moonroof, and they declined. Shouldn't they want my business? They said that they've had several instances of it happening. Maybe not every car, but enough to make a difference.

Actually, my company is doing testing on that right now. The hottest interior temperature we've recorded was only about 165*F, and that was when it was 118*F outside. That isn't enough to cause sufficient expansion in the air inside the vehicle to cause the glass to break.

Tinting is simply a film that goes on the glass, it doesn't change the physical or thermal properties of the glass at all. In fact, tint helps to hold the window together if it breaks.