Start Up Idle Speed

Guest SHAWNATGERBROCK
My 2005 Pathfinder seems to rev high upon initial start up when he has been sitting awhile. Even has a "dry start" sound until oil is pressurized...Any one else had this probelm?

Yea, a co workers '06 does the same thing ....my '06 I havent noticed ....But I have only had it for 3 days ....

Guest G35TR

I have also noticed the high RPM startup. Seems you really gotta hold that break down after you start up to keep it still. Feels like a race horse ready to jump outta the gates!!

As far as the noise. While I haven't noticed it on the Pathfinder yet, my G35C also does this, and its very noticable. It was so noticable I contacted the dealer about it in concern, but they informed me that it is perfectly normal. Apparently it occurs b/c at initial startup, the timing chain is not lubed (since its not in any oil), so it makes a noise as it goes through the timing chain tensioner. You should only hear it until the chain makes one complete cycle down into the oil, then it goes away as the chain is then lubed up. I'm just assuming you are hearing the same noise (like a grinding sound as you first start it up).

Edited by G35TR

That must be the same sound....Guess its OK...Any one ever tried synthetic oil, have always used Castrol GTX in my 250,00 mile Totyota and 105,000 mile Honda with no problems...

I just changed to Mobil 1 last weekend in my '06 (just under 3750 miles) and the truck is noticeably smoother and quieter.

I haven't had a problem w/ 'dry' sound on start, but my truck typically doesn't sit for days at a time, just overnight. The higher revs are normal on start, I think every car I've ever owned has done that.

Haven't tested highway mpg yet - but drive the same commute every day and have picked up 1/2 of a mpg of mixed city/highway on that this week.

I will test towing the boat on the interstate this weekend (previously got 11.3mpg like clockwork on the drive to this lake w/ the boat in tow).

Edited by amr40509

Guest spiderjohn

I just changed to Mobil 1 last weekend in my '06 (just under 3750 miles) and the truck is noticeably smoother and quieter.

Did you use the Mobil 1 Truck and SUV formula? Also, what oil filter did you use?

My 06 Pathfinder has 2000 miles on it and I am starting to ponder my options for oil filters and oil.

At first I thought that I would just get OEM Nissan oil filters but I suspect that there are better filters out there.

What are the rest of you using for oil and filters?

I used the Mobil 1 truck/suv, but I really doubt there is much difference. If I go to buy oil next time and they only have the regular Mobil 1, or there is a price difference, I wouldn't hesitate to use the 'normal'.

I used the Nissan filters, bought 10 of them and 10 of the oil drain plug crush gaskets online.

The factory filter was hell to get off, that was on TIGHT. I had to dent it up pretty good to get it off.

I don't know how much of it is break in and how much is the oil change, but I have been getting better and better mileage.

I've driven just over 1K miles since changing over to Mobil 1.

I've gone from 15.2-15.7 in town to 15.9-16.3, and about 21 pure highway to 22. The biggest difference is in towing though. I tow a boat a lot and was getting 11.4-11.6 mpg. Last weekend I towed about 250miles and got 13.6mpg.

I used to have a VR6 Jetta, they have aluminum oil pans and mine hit a chunk of ice on the highway in the winter and knocked a golf ball sized hole in it, but I didn't think I had done damage. The oil pressure light failed and I drove about 5-7 miles. Parked and let the car sit. On start up the light did come on and I shut it off. On inspection there was very little oil on the ground so that means that before parking I drove w/o oil for awhile (at 70+mph).

I had Mobil 1 in the car. No engine damage, just replaced the pan, refilled the oil, and drove it for 85K more miles (including 3 seasons of autoX racing). Car ran like new when I sold it.

Edited by amr40509

Guest chechatonga
Pretty sure all cars do that...I think it's an emissions thing or something like that. It should settle down after about 15 seconds or so.

Yeah mine does it

no worries.