UCA/spindle bushing removal hint

jj big shoe

I was installing my Superlift A-arms this weekend and like everyone has said, removing the bushings was probably the hardest part of the project. I started to burn them out with an acetylene torch and scrape at them with a screwdriver as suggested by some folks, but that seemed like it would take forever.

What I did was use a drill bit roughly the same diameter as the bushing wall and drilled several holes through the bushings between the UCA and bushing sleeve. That relieved the pressure and gave room for the bushing to collapse into itself. Then I spun the spindle nut halfway onto the threads to protect them and whacked the end of the spindle. Two good hits and it popped right out. I cleaned the rest of the old bushings off with a razor knife, torch and wire wheel. There's probably less chance of deforming something by doing it this way rather than holding a torch on it for a long time, too. I got the whole truck lifted in about five hours. :aok:

Nah, no before pics. I didn't want to post one until I got her looking a little more worthy. Rocker panel rust holes, rusty spare tire carrier, saggy stock suspension, clearcoat peeling off the rims, bald tires, scraped / dented bumpers, ...

I'll post an after pic in my profile sometime soon though because I've repaired / replaced everything but the tires and rims, which I'm getting put on in about three hours.

Merry Christmas to me!

**big cheesy grin**