anyone know a way to fix seatbelts so they retract?

ahardb0dy

Anyone know how to get the seat belts to retract on their own? Not looking for the get new one's replies, I know one side has a flat spring coiled up, and I also know if you mess with that spring and it unwinds it's very long and probably next to impossible to get back in. I figure the spring most likely is weak. Just wanted to ask if anyone has done anything about this. Thanks

I know about that also, like to try to fix things myself if I can, Will have to see if the spring is the same from my sentra seat belts as I have a couple extra of them when I changed the seat belt type in the sentra, thanks

Free replacement with a brand new warrantied seatbelt Vs pulling a 20yo belt re-tractor apart and seeing if you can fix it yourself, no brainer for me, its your life and the lives of your loved ones.

Mine was doing this so I pulled the little triangle plastic piece off of the anchor up on the side wall. Apparently it was rubbing slightly on the belt and with the weaker spring from being 23 years old it would stop. I will try trimming it and putting it back on but may just leave it like this. Why screw with it if its working!

James

Anyone have success with dealer doing a "free" replacement? I have the same seat belt problem. I'm aware of a TSB...but not of any broad formal recall or availability of any free replacement. Anything's possible I suppose if one asks the dealer. But being as they are stealerships....I'm sceptical and curious if anyone has had their's replaced free...and if so...any special tactics on how one "asks" for it from the dealer...ie. a recall I don't know about...or how to push back when they say no.

I don't have the owners manual for my 94 but I went on the Nissan site and downloaded the warranty booklet for the oldest pathfinder model they had on the site which was a 2003 and it says the seat belt warranty applies to the original retail purchaser for a time frame of 120 months/unlimited mileage, so anyone have a copy or tell me where to find a copy of the warranty for our model pathfinders???

I don't have the owners manual for my 94 but I went on the Nissan site and downloaded the warranty booklet for the oldest pathfinder model they had on the site which was a 2003 and it says the seat belt warranty applies to the original retail purchaser for a time frame of 120 months/unlimited mileage, so anyone have a copy or tell me where to find a copy of the warranty for our model pathfinders???

Here is the page everybody refers to from the warranty supplement to my 93 owners manual

seatbelt.jpg

Here is a link to the file in pdf format

seatbelt.pdf

I found a bent penny in one of mine causing the slow retracting and basically straw wrappers and garbage in the others. Wasn't hard to fix either. Maybe an hour for all at most. Or have the dealer do it I guess...

All seat belts from Nissan after 1989 have a lifetime limited transferable warranty against defects on the pretensioners and buckle. (it does not cover them not working after a collision, your dog eating them or cutting them with scissors, etc). This warranty is mentioned in the back of the owners manual in the last section.

Many service advisors at a dealership will not know or be aware that it is covered going back that far. Do lot let them tell you it is not covered, sometimes you have to stand your ground. Make them punch your VIN in the computer system or call their warranty administrator. If they still give you flack call Nissan Consumer Relations at 1-800-NISSAN1

The dealer will also probably not stock this part. It will take them on average 2-3 days to order the part and get it from the warehouse.

I have had mine done twice under the warranty (on two different vehicles) Both times the kits replaced the pretensioners and the buckles.

In short, it is free parts and labor.

If your local dealer is giving you problems on seat belt replacement under warranty give them this information including the Op Codes, this is straight from Nissan.

WARRANTY COVERAGE

PLAN SB

Seat Belts - Useful life of the vehicle for 1989-2002 vehicles, 10 years for 2003 up vehicles.

OpCode VK22AA Replace Front Seat Belt Tounge Assembly - One side

OpCode VK213AA Replace Front Seat Belt Tounge Assembly - Both Sides

If you take your vehicle to get seat belts done, and they say it is not covered, tell your Service Advisor to contact their Warranty Administrator and give this information, if they do not cooperate call 1-800-NISSAN1.

Edited by Alkorahil
  • Like 3

All seat belts from Nissan after 1991 IIRC have a lifetime limited transferable warranty against defects on the pretensioners and buckle.

Wheres the love for us old guys? I mean old trucks?

James

In 1987 the government thought we still needed an 85 mph speedo to keep us safe!

Speaking of mph I still remember how excited I was when they raised the speed limit on I-10 from 55mph to 65mph! Wow I get to speed and it legal now! That was in 1986.

James

i got the same issue with my r50. gotta push it in myself every time. very annoying.

is there a free replacement/recall thing for r50s also or no?

already answered above.

Anyone know how to get the seat belts to retract on their own? Not looking for the get new one's replies, I know one side has a flat spring coiled up, and I also know if you mess with that spring and it unwinds it's very long and probably next to impossible to get back in. I figure the spring most likely is weak. Just wanted to ask if anyone has done anything about this. Thanks

Try pulling the belt as far as it will come out and spray silicone(lube)spray onto the length of the belt.It should then retract easier.Good luck.