Tranny problem part deux

So I was driving to work today and was passing a tractor, when all of a sudden I heard a slight pop. Tried to accelerate and nothing. So I let the speed I was driving in coast me to the side of the road. Took it out of gear to parking, shifted to reverse, nothing. Shifted to drive, nothing; shifted to 1 and 2, yeah you guessed it, nothing. No movement at all. Now I've done some research in the garage and it seems that reverse is the first thing that goes out on our tranny's, but the case was that my tranny went out when i was driving it at about 50 mph's. Anyone has any suggestions?

Well the thing is that I haven't been able to shift in to 4wd since my wife took it to the dunes. I noticed that the hubs didn't want to lock up. I figuered that the rings would have needed to be repaired, so I just figuered I get it checked out when I take it to the suspension shop when I get the bj and cv boots on. I put in in 4hi then 4lo and no movement at all. I placed it back in 2hi and moved the gears around and nothing. I can hear the the tx case shifting into 4wd but it just doesn't lock. How can I check on the u joint?

Ok, checked the drive shafts and they all are in good condition. I noticed that the tranny pan and the passenger side tbar has atf all over it. can a busted tranny oil pump be the cause of this problem?

whne my tranny went i was going down the highway at about 65 and all of sudden no longer had 3 or 4th gear. just 1 2 and reverse. so i got lucky and had to limp home aobut 30 miles at 45 miles an hour

Usually you would of noticed your RPMs go up gradually as your tranny would have emptied. But tranny fluids on the pan is not a good sign. Put it up on a hoist and see exactly where the fluid is coming from. If it's a line and you stopped before you burnt your tranny you might still stand a chance. If something broke and went through the side of the tranny......You might be SOL.

I agree with above. I think you lost so much fluid the torque converter (aka, hydraulic coupler) does not have enough fluid in it to do its job.

And unfortunately, we can't answer the why that happened. Maybe you'll get lucky and it just blew a seal, or the tube going to the trans cooler blew out. Or maybe something bad. It will require physically looking to find out why fluid went bye-bye.

I'm guessing the dipstick shows very little fluid? If you get it home, you could dump a couple/few quarts of ATF in and start it up. If the problem still exists (I suspect it will), it should start spewing ATF out the new (and undesirable) exit hole.

THIS WILL BE MESSY! And ATF stains fabric. And even a single quart dumped on the ground makes an unbelievable mess. Having a a huge bag of clay kitty litter on hand is highly recommended.

Quickly try to see where it is coming from (without drowning, please) and then take photos. We may be able to figure it out that way.....

Thanks for the advice, so I shouldn't have very little hope that the tranny made it out alive then, right? Hopefully it's just a seal, but if not then I'm gonne have to go to the junkers and find another tranny.

The dipstick does show some fluid, but it also looks a little foamy. I changed the fluid back in august IIRC and with 3 engine oil changes since then, I hardly think it even got to another 15k so i can change the tranny fluid again. I'll take some pics, just got to warn you that it's little messy from both atf and motor oil since my rms needs to be changed out too.

At this point, I don't think we know enough to predict if it will live or not. If it was something relatively minor, like a stripped out cooling pipe blowing out and dumping fluid, then there is a darned good chance the internals are OK. I'd place the odds of that being the root cause at less than 50/50, but you never know.

Cool that's one way to check this out. I took it to a shop and they didn't find anything wrong with the tranny, all the gears and internals are fine, checked the hoses and there are no ruptures; he was going to check the sensors today, but I'll let the mechanic know about the t converter.

Edited by solid snake

Ok new update. Tranny needed to be rebuilt along with the t-converter. One of the planteries was done for along with the one of the bands that was in pretty bad shape. seals were replaced too. Kind of think of it though, i think that this was kind of inevitable due to my earlier problem with the tranny that was associated with the alternator. For those who don't know what I'm reffering to here please read this:

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=9741&hl=

due to the erratic nature of this problem on the tranny, I don't think it was going to last me that long though; even with this being an electrical problem.