open or lsd? kindly ID my rear diff, WD21 terrano TD27 NA, manual

dirtbike23

Hmmm. Oddly it looks like the 4-pinion carrier found in the H233B (for certain yours is a C200), but the sticker is usually a tell-tale of LSD. Perhaps it is?

Was the truck in park when you tried the test? Try putting it in neutral...if the tires spin together while the driveshaft rotates, I'd stand corrected.

Not familiar with bottle jack test.

What year is your truck? Looks like the diff cover has been repainted and the original sticker was taped back on.

Also did a little more research...as far as I can tell, the C200 LSD also uses H233B LSD internals, surprisingly. I'd expect the carriers to look similar, in that case, but it doesn't look like it's got the right clearances for clutch packs. Got any close-up pics?

bottle jack test..jack up one wheel put tranny in gear and drive off the jack

its a 99 (released here in phils).. painted it during my oil change and visual inspection of internal.

hope this help..

[/url]">http://WP_20161007_12_31_36_Pro1_zps6jughl7s.jp

Edited by dirtbike23

I didn't realize the WD21 existed after 95, but I'm seeing Philippine classifieds for a them for up to 04. Interesting! So there wasn't an R50 there?

Thanks for clarifying the bottle jack test.

Thanks for the other pic, but it's inconclusive. I'd need to see the RH side of it, away from the gear. I can see that it uses a thrust block and runs 4.875 gears (39:8), though.

wd21s were released here late 90s wherein it was already superseded..Z24 & TD27 NA are the variant..turbos are japan import & are converted from RH to LHD.

there are R50s but are also japs import.

ill try to inspect the internals perhaps in near future to answer my confusion..

thanks for the inputs sir..

I think I see springs in that carrier, probably LSD.

Not if it uses the same LSD internals as the H233B (which it does according to the parts websites I use...but seeing as it's a 1999 WD21...who knows!). No springs there, though; works entirely on compression and friction.

Can't say I've seen a C200 LSD, though, but that particular carrier looks exactly like a scaled down version of the 4-pinion open that came in H233B. That's why I'm not sure it's an LSD (and it sounds like it's behaving like an open).

Those 5 little dots you see in the center would be oil at the ends of the splines as it rests against the thrust block.

• Like 1

This is an open C200 carrier, for reference

I don't doubt that's a C200 carrier. Looks like my R200A open carrier, in fact (as it should):

IMG_4496.jpg

But I presume your diff was from your 88? By the late 90's, Nissan had three C200 carriers: 2- and 4-pinion open carriers, and a 4-pinion LSD. (The H233B did the same thing...late 80's/early 90's had 2-pinion open, then they went to 4-pinion for a while, then back to 2-pinion. LSD carrier remain unchanged.)

Using a 1998 Frontier as an example, here's the 2wd's 2-pinion carrier:

C200_2.jpg

But here's the 4wd's 4-pinion open carrier:

C200_4.jpg

Although FSM diagrams should only be taken at face value, the shape of the "differential case RH" piece is pretty distinctive, and both diagrams appear fairly accurately.

The final years of the 1st gen Frontier and Xterra, 2004, have the same 2wd vs 4wd open carrier, except by then there was a C200 LSD (and it used the same H233B LSD internals, as stated earlier).

Of course, it's hard to know what Nissan did with the Terrano post-1995 (up to 2004?), but they presumably stuck with the same available drivetrains of the WD21, Hardbodies, Navara/Frontier, and Xterra at the time.

Still, I don't think that's the C200 LSD carrier, just the 4-pinion open.

Edited by hawairish
  • Like 1

Guaranteed its a c200, its out of the rear axle of my Pickup.

Sorry, wasn't disagreeing with you on it being from a C200.

BTW, I posted up some pics the other day of the H233B carriers here. Notice that the 4-pinion open is strikingly similar to the C200.

I'd think that even a toasted LSD should turn both back wheels the same way when its off the ground in neutral.

Exactly...if there's even a tiny amount of friction on the side gears with a clutch pack, and it's enough to overcome the rotational resistance of the driveshaft in neutral, then the driveshaft would rotate while both tires rotated in the same direction.

If the driveshaft was in park/gear, though, it'd look like an open because the spiders would allow for it, but you'd have some resistance in turning. If it turns easily in that scenario, it's definitely open.